1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Face-The-Music" Time, Cindy! Even NATIONAL REVIEW Says So!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ben_Hecht, May 22, 2008.

1. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I CALL BULLSHIT. You can't claim three Aces when you have none!

John McCain is beholden to Cindy, I'll give you that. But not for the position he is in now, and certainly not because of her money.

John McCain is beholden to her like he is every other citizen who voted for him, and every other citizen who will make him the next POTUS.

McCain is in the position he is today because he has busted his ass for the people he serves. He is in the position he is in because he has sacrificed both personally and professionally for many years.

Don't just come on a message board and take cheap shots at one of the most respected and credible POTUS candidates in the last two decades simply because he has an R next to his name. I think your better than that. I hope your better than that.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

RSC, these guys need big walking-around money to function, at these levels.

Mac was angling for some when he was involved in that sordid Keating business.
    He wasn't the only one, and dirtbag Keating infected both sides of the aisle,
    but it was dirty business, and everyone involved should have known it.

. . . and on several occasions since, he's walked a tightrope, and gotten involved in some things he's later regretted. We know this to be true, because he's acknowledged it.

I've always rather liked the guy, as GOPers go. He's got a little Goldwater personality in him, and we like that -- though we remain aware of some of
    Barry's faults -- and John's. Given what you have to do these days to gain a major party's nomination, it's virtually impossible to emerge from the process, clean. That sucks -- but it's the truth.

He took a lot of guff he didn't have to take, as a POW. He has my everlasting respect in that area.

But as John Kerry has found, practically-unlimited funds make playing the political game at the national level much easier -- as so many not thus blessed, have discovered, to their sorrow.

That's that.

And now, Cindy, we need to see some more of those itsy-bitsy IRS forms, thanks.

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Neither McCain nor Kerry got practically unlimited funds from their marriages, at least under current campaign laws. And money isn't what got McCain into the national political spotlight. What got him here was his POW experiences and his free-wheeling 2000 campaign, where the media fell head-over-heels for him.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks for stopping by, dick.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The 2000 McCain was infinitely more admirable than the current version . . . the version so, so eager to cater to his party's fringes (which have been marginalized by the
    recent paradigm shift).

6. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I understand that. But he'd be wasting his time running at all if he wasn't going to dip a toe in the water on the far right. There would be no chance in hell of him winning if all he was going to get was unenrolled voters and the moderate republicans and democrats. He needs to touch the biggest part of the party for votes.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Here's one example. He frequently used Cindy's private jet for little cost. This basically constitutes about a $500,000 in-kind donation.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Nobody said they did. But in terms of day-to-day lifestyle/living arrangements, both live a damn sight better than they would if they hadn't "married well".

Draft saved Draft deleted