1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Face-The-Music" Time, Cindy! Even NATIONAL REVIEW Says So!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ben_Hecht, May 22, 2008.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Forgive me for being a bit cynical, Pontifex Maximus, but there's likely a very good reason they didn't file jointly. Why deny yourself access to funds that every other candidate has? I'd be willing to bet a decent chunk of money that there's something in those tax returns Mr. McCain doesn't want to be made public.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Or it might just be that the prenup signed in 1980 requires that they file separately. Maybe there is a weird tax reason that they are better off filing separately. Who knows. I have not seen any reports saying they have filed jointly in the past, which would lead me to think it is prenup related.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

So a prenup takes precedence over helping your husband become President? Sorry, Your Eminence. I'm not buying.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

Remember that the 50% rule is superseded by any pre-existing legal agreements. If the prenup says that McCain has no ownership stake in her holdings, then he has no access to it regardless of whether or not they file jointly. McCain is in the exact same situation as John Kerry was in 2000, where his wife was mega-rich and the prenup cut off his access to it. Under your opinion, then THK really didn't care enough about making her husband president or she had something to hide.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Did Kerry release their tax returns? This is about transparency, and Mr. Straight-Talk Express is exhibiting none of it.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

THK did not release her tax returns. If McCain can't draw on those holdings, what does he need to be transparent about?

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Then Kerry was wrong not to do so. It doesn't make McCain any less wrong.

If there wasn't anything there, he'd release it. Simple as that.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It's HER tax return. Why would HE be releasing it? Mrs. McCain is fully capable of making her own decisions in life, and releasing her taxes is HER decision, not her husband's.

9. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Thanks Pope. I've been away from the comp and just read the posts.

I'm glad I'm not the only one on here who sees Doc throwing accusations at McCain that have no merit.

10. PopeDirkBenedict

So there must have been something there with THK?

If he doesn't have access to it as personal wealth, what is the rationale for making him release it? What needs to be made transparent about property that the presidential candidate does not have access to?

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Fine. Then I'll continue to be cynical on the subject until she does so.

And Red, point to a post where I levied an accusation at McCain, other than his lack of transparency. I'll wait.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Possibly. Who knows? Further more, who cares? He lost.

With Obama, I know nothing's there. He released the info. I can't say the same about McCain.

Draft saved Draft deleted