1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Face it: Daughter may want to have sex before marriage

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shaggy, Mar 28, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Mike, you're welcome to post whatever you like on this board, to an extent. But you also have to be prepared to back up what you say and take crap for saying it.

That being said, it's nice that you've proclaimed yourself more knowledgable as a parent than anyone on this thread and it's clear that you would make a much better parent than any of us. As such, we should all turn over custody of our children to you because clearly we know what what we speak of.

Uhm, should I have used blue font on that one?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Sometimes there's not need for the blue font. The scarcasm shines through the plain black text.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

With some in-duh-viduals, you never know.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

No need to use alternate fonts. But yes, our new, in-house parenting authority should either state his own views or STFU. Just saying "You're wrong" and throwing in a little ad hominem snarkiness proves nothing. Try constructing an argument.

And judging by his use of the "5, 4, 3..." countdown, I'm wondering if TLoML isn't a regular poster who decided he'd get an alternate handle for whatever reason.

5. It wouldn't work. It's much harder to get someone to unlearn bad habits or lessons rather than to teach them the right ones from scratch.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I always find it interesting when a discussion shifts to abortion. Everyone seems to have their views already ironed out, and that always amazes me. There's probably no issue that I got back and forth on more than this one. I worry that as I guy I can never get as complete an understanding on this issue as a woman can. But my basic thoughts are A) Forcing someone to do something = bad, in general. And forcing someone to carry an unwanted baby seems to fall into that category. At the same time B) killing = bad. Forcing someone not to kill = okay. And I really don't know if you're killing a baby or not.

Anyway, my 2 cents since the topic momentarily took a turn towards the topic of abortion.

7. "Bite me, Dad. I'm living in the East Village with a saxophone player."
    -- Neil Boortz's daughter

8. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

kids are going to do it anyway, for the most part - might as well inform them on ways to protect themselves first instead of scolding afterward.
    as for abortion, i am pro-choice because i am against a blanket rule that says you can't. if a woman is raped and gets pregnant, is the govt or the far-right going to tell that woman she must have that child? i don't think that is right.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Then I guess your kids are pretty well fucked even if they were rescued from your self-righteous self, eh?

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Many parent try to teach children that sex is wrong. And trust me, from someone with experience, that can trickle even into a marriage, where sex is obviously acceptable.

A girl having "sex is bad" pounded into her head for 23 years doesn't suddenly have this amazing change of heart the moment "I do" is said. It's in their head, and no ceremony will suck it out. It takes longer than that, and that's why it's a fucked up way to scare children into abstinence.

Teaching children that sex is bad, is in fact bad itself. It's an irresponsible shortcut by parents to try and scare the kids out of making any choice that might lead to a consequence.

Rather, parents should teach children that sex isn't for children, that it shouldn't even be touched until you're ready to accept any and all consequences that come with it. If that's marriage, that's fine. If it's as a college girl, fine. If it's as a 17-year old high school senior in love? I wouldn't be comfortable as a dad, but I'd understand so long as it's done safely.

Even teaching "no sex before marriage" is a premise that's completely stupid. What if a women doesn't get married until she's 38? Is she going to hell for having sex as a 35-year old? Does dad even give a fuck by that point? Purity ball or not?

That's why this abstinence-only education is a selfish way for parents to sleep better at night, childrens' future be damned.

11. A generally reasonable post, except for the part where you support the crime of statutory rape in many states.

12. Years from now, when they blame me for their shortcomings, I'll be sure to tell them that outofplace was right all along.

Draft saved Draft deleted