1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Face it: Daughter may want to have sex before marriage

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shaggy, Mar 28, 2007.

1. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Alone...listless...breakfast table in an otherwise empty room
    Young girl...violins...center of her own attention
    The, mother reads aloud, child, tries to understand it
    Tries to make her proud

The shades go down, its in her head
    Painted room...cant deny theres something wrong...

Dont call me daughter, not fit to
    The picture kept will remind me
    Dont call me daughter, not fit to
    The picture kept will remind me
    Dont call me...

She holds the hand that holds her down
    She will...rise above..

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Yup, have heard about those. There was actually a Law and Order episode that featured those types of clinics. [/nerd]

There is no way Roe v. Wade will be overturned, and deep down these anti-choice groups know this, so they are trying every end-run in the book. You're right, their tactics and "policies" are very anti-woman.

(And that is one of my all-time favorite songs, BTW)

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Don't you get it, Zeke? Cervical cancer acts as a deterrent.

That's why the death penalty has helped us wipe out murder.

In all seriousness, the wife and I had a talk recently, and we've basically come to the conclusion that we want our future kids, when they're teenagers, to have sex. Safe sex, obviously, but just have some sex. I can't tell you how many girls I know, some of whom I dated, who were so sexual repressed by the lunatic parents that they couldn't enjoy the act, physically or emotionally, and were thus incapable of having a healthy relationship.

Not to offend, but I can think of few things more awful than marrying a virgin. I'm grateful for all the sex my wife had prior to us meeting and falling in love. And she's grateful for the sex that I had. She'd actually had more sex partners than I did, and at first it made me admittedly uncomfortable, until I realized it was the lamest, macho, insecure hangup possible.

As long as my daughter (or son) isn't taking on an entire sports team, isn't getting pregnant (or getting someone pregnant), their partner is a similar age, and they're a willing participant in everything and aren't being pressured, I'm all for it.

The least surprising celebrity divorce of all time was Nick Lachey and Jessica Simpson. After two years, she was clearly wondering what else was out there, and he was probably sick and tired of humping the equivalent of a plastic Texas debutante mannequin.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Wonderfully said.

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Always wondered what the real words were. The picture kept? Huh, who knew.
    (For some reason it always sounded like "The bed you kept" to me. Don't know why. Probably deserves its own misunderstood lyrics thread.)

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I think those are very good points, Double Down. I know that I want to educate my future kids, not repress them. And good for Mrs. Double Down for being such a playa. ;)

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Tell her it was good for me too. :D

8. John

John Well-Known Member

I was hoping someone would get that.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

She still speaks fondly of you, BYH, on the rare occasions I strike out and she has to whip out the Rabbit to be able to fall asleep.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

guys - i lean to the left a little more than the next guy, i'll also guess nobody ever will accuse me of being a christian fundamentalist, and that whole "daddy dedication" thing freaks me out in so many ways i'll never be able to fully explain, so i won't even try.

but, with that said, it's much easier to talk about being cool fucking parents until you have a coupla girls. i grew up in the sex, drugs and rock n roll era of the 80s, and while tom petty always understood that no meant no and how to treat teenage girls like they were human beings and not meat, all i ever really cared to do was score with anything that: A. was hot; B. moved.

while i was cool with a perspective one-nighter, i had many friends who were, well, dicks, when it came to teen sex and helping a young lady feel good about the experience, because they didn't fucking care.

mrs. petty literally almost died when she gave birth to the first heartbreaker and was restricted to bed for a month afterward, which left plenty of "getting to know you time" between me and my infant child. i made a lotta promises to her during that time in exchange for sleep.

one of those promises was that i'd try to be a cool dad and a straight shooter when she grew up, and i will. but i'll never give my blessing to one of the heartbreakers having sex before they are 18, but if and when they do, i'll understand and they'll be educated. 16- and 17-year-old guys are dicks in general; don't forget that.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

You know, I've heard that a lot in my own house from my ex's.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

That song always fucks me up.

Draft saved Draft deleted