1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F$#% you, Sporting News: Layoff names according to Big Lead

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Norrin Radd, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Ace, you're better than that.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ace some mighty fine journalists are out of work. I personally don't find any humor in your post.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How do you think I feel?

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't know how you feel unless you post those feelings. I don't read minds.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's gallows humor. How the hell else you gonna get through the day?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm thinking Alma is being sarcastic here.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

No, he's not. And he's right. If the listed reporters still are interested in staying in the industry, they will be hired. The same happened when FanHouse originally was busted up.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Three managers were part of the purge. Two had been there for 20+ years.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I was afraid I was going to see Stan McNeal's name there. Worked under him at the San Diego U-T in the 1990s, and he was a great dude and very encouraging to a college student getting his journalism legs under him. Hope he lands on his feet.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Some people from that group are still looking. Not everybody was hired and some who were had a long wait. There are way more talented journalists than spots right now. Some have taken other spots and been laid off from those, too.
    Lovely business.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm glad there is an optimistic tone to the "hey these are all good people they will get hired" but excuse me if I don't share that or feel that sentiment - where the hell are the jobs? ESPN, Yahoo and CBS Sports can't hire everyone, newspapers aren't hiring anybody these days, magazines are dead and the internet is crowded with a bunch of bloggers who do the shit for free.

Where are all these jobs these good journalists are going to get?

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Interesting news, to say the least. The Sporting News brought back their football and basketball yearbooks this year after a year hiatus.

Draft saved Draft deleted