1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F&G alums about to rub NBC execs' noses in it yet again

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Apr 21, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I missed the whole Freaks and Geeks experience when it aired.
    Sort of like SportsNight, which I only caught in replays on Comedy Central.
    As far as I know F&G only lived though DVD sales. I don't know of any outlet that carried the old shows.

And this is why critics now love the Dana Carvey show: Stephen Colbert, Steve Carell, Robert Smigel, Bob Odenkirk, Charlie Kaufman, Louis C.K., and Dino Stamatopoulos.
    Those were the show's writers. The only name you might not recognize is the last.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Good lord, that's like a Murderer's Row of comedy.

I've never seen an episode of Freaks and Geeks. I should probably remedy that.

5. Mizzougrad96

That's an amazing list... It's even more amazing that the show was a piece of shit...

I saw Dana Carvey in concert about a decade ago and it may have been the funniest 90 minutes of my life... It's unfortunate that he hasn't been able to parlay stand-up and SNL success into TV or movie success...

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

They put themselves in a credibility hole by listing Cop Rock first, but bailed themselves out by including Firefly (see this immediately if you haven't already) and TV Funhouse, which I loved.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

How can we take a best of anything list seriously when it includes Cop Rock?

I did laugh when I saw Cupid on there. I was just talking to some friends today and Jeremy Piven's name came up. I mentioned the show and none of them had any clue what I was talking about.

Edit: Arnold Babar beat me to the Cop Rock comment. I agree with his point on Firefly. I had never seen the show, but I really enjoyed the movie.

8. Mizzougrad96

Brooklyn South is another one that should have been on this list...

Karen Sisco was another great one that never got any love... How do you not love a show with Carla Gugino?

Line of Fire was another great one about five years ago that never caught on...

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

How many of you actually saw Cop Rock, as opposed to just hearing it as the butt of jokes for 20 years?

Be honest...

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I saw it. Eventually, I recovered.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Cupid was rock solid, but the female lead was Paula Marshall and she's like the female version of Ted McGinley, just a show killer.
    Even thought I heart Paula Marshall and my 2007 highlight was seeing her nekkid on Californication.
    I remember watching Dana Carvey's show and parts were funny, parts were stupid. Sorting of like watching Adult Swim on Sunday night. Just real hit or miss, from sketch to sketch.

12. Mizzougrad96

I saw one episode... Horrendous...

Draft saved Draft deleted