1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Extremely Disturbing Story from Turkey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ThomsonONE, Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

So glad we can discuss politics again. With real sports journalists. ::)

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If you had an argument to make, you would make it.

I'm interested in what you have to say.

The fact is that Sharia law has no place in a modern society.

Women have no rights in any religious Muslim nation or under Sharia.

And the most radical & violent Muslims are the most religious.

3. YankeeFan

Buck, I like you & I hope your brother stays safe when he's deployed.

You're smart, you're funny and you know a lot about & love baseball.

But if that's all you've got, why don't you just go give Zeke a reach around in your "no contrary thoughts" playground?

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I would ask you to first read this: http://www.amazon.com/History-Islamic-Societies-Ira-Lapidus/dp/0521779332/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265412539&sr=8-26. That will give you background on the religion as a whole and then it also goes country by country up through end of the last century.

Then, for a more intellectual instead of just strictly factual look at the subject I would direct you to this: http://www.amazon.com/Globalized-Islam-Comparative-Politics-International/dp/0231134991/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265412965&sr=8-1.

Once you read those and a few others, I'd consider having a conversation with you. Instead, I'll just let you continue to spout your platitudes and feel like you've won some type of victory.

Oh, and your shot as Buckdub is as laughable as it is incorrect.

5. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

YF, perhaps you should use 'extremist' instead of 'religious'...

6. YankeeFan

I have no reason to put you down or try to rip you.

I usually find your posts to be thoughtful and think they ad to the conversation.

I've never hidden the fact that I'm not, and never have been, a sports journalist.

But for years I headed up sports marketing for a major corporation. Did multiple million dollar per year sponsorships with numerous teams.

I also worked for a major league team.

So, like many of you, I've worked on the periphery of sports. Although, unlike many here, I was working with major league teams, not high schools.

Now I sell & repair commercial coffee & espresso machines. Yes, it's true. But I'm not ashamed of it, so any put down you might toss out related to that is not going to hurt or upset me.

7. YankeeFan

But it's not just that. It's extremist & religious.

And no not every religious Muslim is a threat, but the extremists are religious -- or at least motivated by religion.

8. Trouser_Buddah

You are so precious.

9. YankeeFan

Do I get to give you a reading list as well before we discuss this?

You can't make one coherent argument on your own? I need to go read two books and then report back to you?

And I didn't mean to take a shot at Buck. He's a valuable poster in my mind, but if he's going to give us the "rolling eyes" emoticon as a post, he might as well just go post at the other place where everyone thinks the same.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So, you might say they're extremist Christians. And yet you don't seem to like it when I tar the entire religion with that brush.

11. Trouser_Buddah

I think it is different. I don't think the individual terrorists you mentioned got more religious before their attacks, they became more extremist. I don't believe they suddenly began studying the most virtuous principles of their religion before becoming violent, I believe they entrenched themselves with the radical element of that faith.

Big difference.

12. YankeeFan

Eh, I figured I'd take a shot. I've worked at the highest levels in sports, so to act like I'm some interloper when some of the people here have never been inside a major league stadium without buying a ticket is a joke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.