1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Extreme heat or extreme cold?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jul 6, 2012.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

This seemed a good place to share this:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Colton

Colton Active Member

Ditto.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I don't mind the extreme cold but it's the snow I can do without.

We rarely have the AC on here at Casa Huggy but we have made an exception for the last few scorching days. Gimme the heat any day.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'd say heat but get back to me after day, I may be singing a different song.

Took Ella to Pups in the Park last month, when it was 75 or so. They have another one today. Forecasted high is 104. We'll watch it on our big TV, in the AC.

We're about to go for our walk before it gets too hot.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I live on the second floor of a house with plaster walls that seem to hold both the heat and the cold, depending on the season. When the power was out, the temperature inside hovered around 93, and the place was unlivable.

I have window AC units, and I live off fans ... It's 80 in here now, and I can totally handle that as long as I'm in a room with the fans going. Without the fans, this place is a friggin sweatbox. In the spring and fall, when the temps are in the 70s and low 80s, I can open all the windows and it feels great with the breeze.

Gas heat is pricey, so I've taken to keeping the place at 62 in the winter. I have a space heater for the bedroom that I kick on at night, but I don't mind walking around the house in a hoodie to keep warm if it means cutting way back on the gas bill.

6. I'm the opposite. I hate the cold without snow.
    We have lived here 10 years and its cold, but I can count the number of times my kids have used their sleds - because we seldom have enough snow on the ground - on one hand. No snow, but it's still damn cold. Ugh.

But I'll still take 10 degree over weather over the 90s and up ANY day!

7. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

I'll take cold, I can bundle up and get warm and it's cheaper to sit on the couch watching TV with a blanket than having to constantly run the AC, and there are only so many clothes I can take off and stay socially acceptable.

Then again, I'm notoriously cheap when it comes to running heat, I have no problem with the thermostat at 60. But when it comes to AC, I don't want to be sweating all the time so I have to keep it cold and my electric bill skyrockets.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

As a guy who currently lives in Houston and once lived in Fairbanks, I'll tell you that 100+, even with Houston humidity, is so much better than 50-below. 50-below sucks all sorts of unbelievable ass.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't think people are equating the two properly. Because extreme heat happens a lot more in this country than extreme cold. I doubt the average person choosing cold has ever experienced extreme cold.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah. 10 degrees above zero is not extreme cold.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'll say this also, I'll take either very hot or very cold over 40 degrees and rainy. Ev.Ry. Time.

I'd rather have 10 degrees or 90 degrees over 40.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I take "Extreme heat vs. extreme cold" to mean the typical extremes on both sides that we experience. For me, it's today (about 105, feels like 111) and about, oh, between 10 and 20 degrees at worst in the winter. That obviously changes for everyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted