1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Extreme heat or extreme cold?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

This. Except that I have truly not been in extreme cold for extended periods of time.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I grew up on a farm in central Kansas where the summers can get really hot, the winters really cold and had to work outside in both. I much prefer temperatures more than 100 degrees than anything less than 20. An extremely humid day can make me rethink that for a moment, but just a moment.

3. Jake_Taylor

That's the one downside to heat. My dogs don't want to spend much time outside. They'd drag me around the neighborhood for hours in a 10-degree snowstorm though.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Heat, even at 100 or more, is fine with me.

I hate layering up for cold weather. I do it, but it sucks.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Give me heat every time. Don't even mind the humidity that much. SAD is a bitch, y'all.

6. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

Living in a place where it gets extremely cold, let me just say that the 'you can always add layers' line is BS.

100 degrees feels fine to me.

7. Jake_Taylor

You know what I hate about the cold? Gloves.

I might as well not have hands if I'm wearing gloves. I can't do anything with them on. Then if if try to tough it out and take them off my fingers are too numb to do anything. At least in the heat you have finger-tip control and full use of your hands.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Played tennis in 98 degrees Wednesday.

Played tennis in 23 degrees last February.

Heat in a landslide.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

One constant on the Southern Plains is the wind. 100 degrees with a 20-mph wind? Tolerable in the shade. 20 degrees with a 20-mph wind? Hypothermia city.

I vote heat. Although for me, perfect weather is upper 30s and no wind.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I am going to remember that line.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Colder beer and pretty girls wearing less and less, making everyone want to do crazier things. I'll take the heat.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Snow is manageable and much more preferable to drive on than ice. Plus, a little RainX on your windshield makes scraping them a one- or two-minute chore at most.

It might just be nostalgia, having lived in a tropical funk for five years, but I'll take extreme cold. It's an environment suited to me and my excess layers of fat and fur.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted