1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Extreme heat or extreme cold?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jul 6, 2012.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Have you been time-transported from the Depression or something?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Heat. All day, every day.
    I can't stand the cold. Never have liked it, and I grew up in the North. Snow is fun, but it doesn't last. The rest of the time you just shiver and can't feel your fingers and toes.
    Heat is fun. It does suck when it gets to be 100+, but summer is when memories are made. It's free time, down time, relax time. Sip a lemonade and watch the girls at the beach time.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Women. You watch women at the beach. :)

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yes I do :D

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The humidity is the key.

Last week, when it shot past 100 in my locale, humidity was low. While it was hot, it was somewhat tolerable.

Since then, humidity has slowed crept up. Now its 105 with high humidity and its damn near unbearable.

So I prefer low humidity heat to extreme cold. But I prefer extreme cold to high humidity heat.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This debate reminded me of this old show that lasted about three episodes on Fox one summer, called "The Chamber."
    Contestants got strapped into a chamber that raised or lowered the temperature as they answered questions. If they got to a predetermined stress level or missed a couple questions in a row, they lost.
    I think I happened to catch two of the three episodes. It was so out there it was awesome. It's also not surprising it didn't last since, you know, somebody probably would've ended up dead if stayed on the air for an entire season.

The quality of this clip is awful, but here's one guy going through the "cold" chamber:

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Never mind, someone made that joke.

So my vote is cold. Fat guys have more insulation and don't have to show as much skin.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

the collateral effects of extreme cold are snow and ice. Miserable driving conditions and lunatics on the road.

And the girls in their summer clothes
    In the cool of the evening light
    The girls in their summer clothes
    Pass me by

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I moved from the tropics. Where it always felt like a sauna when you were outdoors.

Where I am now, 10 degrees hotter still feels 5 degrees cooler.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I've never once had to scrape humidity off my windshield.

I'll take heat any day.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Excellent point. I'll choose damn near anything over snow and having to deal with snow.

12. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

I actually prefer driving in snow to driving in rain. With so many idiots driving 15 mph, it's almost easier to navigate around them. As for the temperature thing, give me extreme cold all day if extreme heat is the only other option. As others have said, extra layers of clothes and blankets can fix cold. Sitting around butt naked can't necessarily fix hot. I have the AC set at 65 at night and 68 or 70 if I'm home during the day. During the winter? Maybe set the heat at 60 or 62.

I don't consider myself normal in that regard, though. If everybody else is comfortable, I'm hot. If everybody else is cold, I'm comfortable. If everybody else is hot, I'm probably cussing and ready to punch something.

Draft saved Draft deleted