1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Extreme heat or extreme cold?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Jul 6, 2012.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Ceiling fans --- and the ability to feel just fine when it's 89 indoors --- seems to work OK.

Plus, this is my first summer in a two-story house. The first floor feels like early spring. It's only the second floor that feels, well, a little warm.

Here is a wonderful article on life in the land of minus-40 (and beyond):

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/europe/yakutsk-journey-to-the-coldest-city-on-earth-771503.html

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Cold

I thought Heat would win. Oh, they did. :)

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll take the cold every single time...

4. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I'll take the heat over cold any time.

I work outdoors and it is way easier to do my job when it is hot.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I was all set to say I'll take the cold because I hate the heat. I can deal with the cold through layering much better than I can deal with the heat. If it's cold you can just layer and stay somewhat warm. If it's hot, you can be in boxers and nothing else and still be hot unless you're in the AC.

But BigPern's argument is making me very tempted to change my mind.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Having lived in a state where it routinely got down to 30 below or colder in the winter and 100 or sometimes warmer in the summer, I'll take the heat. Especially since it was a dry heat, with little or no humidity. I think the differednce between the high and the low I experienced was about 150 degrees.

I could easily handle 0 or 10 below, since the sun is usually out for it to get that cold. But 30-to-40 below is another animal entirely; even with the sun, 40 below is bone-chilling cold.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Driving an air-conditioned car around the extreme heat and looking at girls in bikinis as opposed to driving a heated car around in the extreme cold and looking at girls in parkas, the heat would win ever single time...

But if we're talking about freezing your ass off to sweating your ass off, I'd rather be cold.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Are you 70?

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

AC must make the house seem drafty.

10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

It's about 89 here today and we don't have the AC on. Ceiling fans and a couple of standing fans do the trick nicely. Whole house fan at night and early morning also helps.

Put me in the bikinis over parkas camp. If it HAS to be cold I woe prefer it not to snow. I Hate the snow.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

89 indoors? Fuck that.
    89 outdoors? Ceiling fans might be OK, but it's a lock I'd have the A/C on.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I absolutely despise the cold.

That's one reason I never plan on living anywhere north of North Carolina. [/evil]

Yeah, that, too.

How can that be? They obviously weren't good enough. [/93Devil]

Draft saved Draft deleted