1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explosions in the Sky

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I've got to give Jones a shoutout for this thread.
    Explosions in the Sky is awesome. It's a little on the depressing side, but since I love Pink Floyd it is right up my alley. Just good music to have going in the background.
    And to whichever poster recommended Band of Horses let me thank you now. The album I bought kicks ass.

2. Jar of Flies

Jar of Flies Member

Explosions in the Sky gives me chills every time I hear them.

"Home" (off the "Friday Night Lights" movie soundtrack) gets me every time.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That song isn't on the CD I bought, but now that you mention the movie I can remember this type of music in it. What scene was it, do you remember?

4. Jar of Flies

Jar of Flies Member

I can't remember, since I haven't seen the movie in over 2 years.

The two great things about the movie (the book was better, fwiw): Explosions in the Sky and Connie Britton (she played Gary Gaines' wife in the movie).

5. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Thanks, folks. Downloaded a few of their songs last night and I'm now enjoying them on my iPod.

The guitars are really reminiscent of Minus the Bear (if you're into them).

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Bringing this thread up from the dead to remind everyone that this band is awesome and to confess that I didn't get into them until two weeks after they played a show here. Local hole in the wall is hosting This Will Destroy You next month, and it sounds like they're cut from the same cloth.

And you can take that LOL! you're working on and stick it in your craw, then take your craw and stick it up your BUTT.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

They're getting some big love from Arcade Fire, too - they were second on the bill for AF's Dallas, Austin and Woodlands shows last week.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Not in Dallas -- Okkervil River opened there.

I will, however, see EITS at Bonnaroo.

9. SellOut

SellOut Member

Saw them when they came to my town last fall. Really intense. Thing I found interesting is they play the songs EXACTLY the way they sound on the albums. I was anticipating them deviating a little bit here and there but they rolled straight through. BTW, they don't do encores. Not their thing. Not surprising considering how spent they looked at the end of the show.

10. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

As I've been waiting for a meeting to start, for the hell of it, I played some EITS on my laptop while watching YouTube drywall hanging instructional videos.

Klosterman con Jones have a point. They do make the art of drywalling much more fun to watch.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

New CD just came out. It sounds just like Friday Night Lights!

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I thought this was about May 21.

Draft saved Draft deleted