1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explosions in the Sky

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Jones

Jones Active Member

I know there's a music thread, and I know I'm probably four albums late with these guys, and you might already know them from such soundtracks as Friday Night Lights and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, but I can't help myself:

Chuck Klosterman writes that listening to Explosions in the Sky could make "hanging drywall a transcendental experience," and seeing as I've hung a lot of drywall and haven't found anything remotely transcendental about it, I thought I'd give them a shot. Well, I challenge anyone to listen to this Texas instrumental four-piece -- usually three guitars and drums -- and not be at least a little moved (granted, when I first heard them, I was "altered," but still). Like Sigur Ros without the Icelandic yodel laid on top.

Try "Your Hand in Mine," followed by "The Birth and Death of the Day." Preferably through headphones, in the dark, when you've fallen halfway into or out of love with a girl.

Apart from anything else, it's terrific music to write to.

2. Thanks for the tip, Jones. Sounds interesting.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

They were on Austin City Limits a couple months ago.
    Pretty good live, I wondered how their albums sounded and I was going to check them out, but then I saw something shiny and got distracted.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I thought this was about Jones joining the Mile High Club.

5. I thought it was another thread about his colon

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Eh, boring. It would be perfect music for a soundtrack.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Me too... what noxious stuff would fly out of his behind this time...

8. Jones

Jones Active Member

You know, I try for once not to post about one of my bodily functions... But you fuck one goat, and you're a goatfucker for the rest of your life.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'm definitely into this group. Actually, I was listening to it this morning at work.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Your anal days are behind you -- not.

11. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Been a big fan of theirs for years, Jonesy. And they are amazing live.

If you like Explosions in the Sky, also check out Band of Horses, whose song "The Funeral" is the ethereal music playing on the Ford Edge commercial where that girl stares in awe out the panoramic moonroof.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Band of Horses, I like them. I guess I just like music w/words.

Draft saved Draft deleted