1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explosion in West, Texas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NDJournalist, Apr 17, 2013.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Good God. I don't see how anyone in that building could survive.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I used to see friends who lived on farms doing that as well, Jake. Scary to think they were trusted with that stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

In Amarillo, 400 miles to the Northwest, the explosion registered on a seismograph.

Do a Google search on the Texas City explosion on April 17, 1947. Also involved two ships in port loaded with ammonium nitrate fertilizer.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Most famous resident? Baseball player Scott Podsednik.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That video couldn't have been taken very far from the plant. The shock wave will travel at the speed of sound, which is a mile every five seconds more or less, and that thing was on them in about a half-second — so maybe 500 feet or less. They're lucky to be alive.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I wonder if we'll ever find out if the kid regained his hearing. I hope dad worried about that first before posting the video to YouTube.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Briefing going on now.

A quote from the trooper that should resonate in all types of breaking news stories for everyone:

"We don't want to guess. We want to be very specific with ya and give you facts and not guess."

What a concept.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They're doing a press conference right now at the media staging area - which is an auction barn - and you can hear cows mooing in the background.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

There is British-sounding anchors on CNN right now...is this the graveyard team? The one guy just said "30 kilometers", I'm confused...

Prayers for those involved...heading to bed and hope the number of possible dead is much lower.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Mother fucker

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you watch that video link, you can easily see how that is possible. I don't think I have ever seen an explosion, other than nuclear, that large before.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Between five and 15 dead, say Waco PD.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/18/texas-explosion-fertiliser-plant-live

Draft saved Draft deleted