1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

exploiting NBA ghetto pathology

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by henryhenry, Oct 30, 2006.

1. The Basement

The Basement Member

Good call on Kobe 'tommyp', but I don't see how this can make you a fan of a guy. if anything, it shows how guys that grow up even in a seemingly "stable" environment can still come out a little screwy.

The dodging of the subpeona was very, very interesting. Somehow, i don't think Gilbert's the only one to do that over the years..

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Arenas' story certainly isn't the typical ghetto tale. If he were raised by his mom amid half-brothers in the PJs, then yeah. But being raised by his pops in California is hardly typical. Add to that, he's not at all ordinary in ghetto parlance, he's more of a loner, like Kobe. He's a different dude and this story, not to mention the two hundred others Gilbertology stories I've read in the past year, are always good reading.

3. slowcenter

slowcenter Member

You know Henry, I wrote a few of those about guys like Grant Hill and David Robinson over the years. Most editors said "nice story," and tried to stifle yawns while throwing me the compliment. Then they would hit up our other writer for another "What is Dennis Rodman Up To?" story.

You don't get to have it both ways.

4. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

okay, but the writer needs to make that clear - context and perspective - and he didn't

5. tommyp

tommyp Member

Basement:
    I'm not sure a child living for a few of his formative years in a crack house can be considered "stable."

What I admire about Arenas is his dedication to his craft and his ability to channel any perceived slight to his benefit. Also, Gilbert is portrayed as a good guy--humble and hard-working--yet his continual struggle is compelling as he tries to find the balance between his somewhat lost childhood and the responsibility of doing the right thing.

Or perhaps I identify with him because I could see myself acting the same way if I grew up in similar circumstances.

Draft saved Draft deleted