1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

explaining last job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txsportsscribe, Apr 21, 2008.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

what's the best way to handle the reason for leaving your last job in a case where employer fought against you receiving unemployment benefits but the state workforce commission sided with you and awarded benefits?

even though i "won" my case, i can see where a potential employer would shy away from the drama even when the potential employee was in the right. and i know most companies nowadays just give employment dates out of fear of being sued, but smaller papers with no human relations department don't always play by the same rules.

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

"Honest, I was justified in lunging over the desk at my boss with a pair of scissors in my hand."

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Tell them what happened? That seems like a good idea. If there's no shenanigans, you're fine.

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Why'd you get the can?

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What do the unemployment benefits have to do with you leaving the job?

6. EE94

EE94 Guest

hate to say it, but you are right to be concerned.

Definitely work on a short and succinct explanation that invites nor needs any further follow-up, but be prepared in case they have found something out.

Don't lie, but don't necessarily volunteer full disclosure

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Some work applications ask if you have received unemployment in the last 12 months.
    Don't lie.
    Most papers, most places are full of people who have bad work experiences at one point or the other. Just say that you had a personality clash or that it wasn't a good fit or that it was some sort of downsizing and leave it at that.
    If pressed say that you received unemployment. That implies getting fired or laid off. People who quit, who resign, they don't qualify.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I agree with EE. It's always concerning.

Practice giving a stock response ("There was a legal situation which has since been resolved by the state in my favor."), and then practice your follow-up explanation. Feel free to include some personal assessment in the follow-up, such as "I was proud of myself that I took action in a situation where, ultimately, the state sided with me. It was important to me that I did what was right."

I was in a situation where I left a non-media employer after only three months when I found out they were engaged in illegal practices. The CEO was later indicted by the state's attorney general. But it was hard to explain that. When the question was asked, I have always used a "look at my strong, moral character" response and took the opportunity to teach them something about me.

9. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I had a bad experience at my first job, and I found the best way of dealing with it was to disclose as much as possible to prospective employers. The way I see it, they're most likely going to find out about it anyway. I'd rather they hear about it from me first.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Hey Farva, what's the name of that place with all of the stuff on the wall and the great burgers?

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Someone is going to get pistol whipped.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hmmm, ain't no place like the Mt. Pleasant Morning Sun, is there....

Draft saved Draft deleted