1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Expired plates get you arrested in D.C.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

A naval officer was arrested in D.C. for driving with expired plates. Where is the Tea Party on this one since Congress controls the District?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/expired-license-plates-in-dc-could-land-you-in-jail/2011/10/11/gIQAJjdhdL_story.html?hpid=z3

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Expired plates will get you arrested in a lot of places, although sometimes the police will just let your car sit in a parking lot overnight while you're left to figure out how to get the 5 miles home in the middle of the night. Or so I've heard.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Rules are rules.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

In some states, it's not a crime, just a civil traffic violation.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Seriously hard to see how you make a right/left thing out of this. Right/wrong, maybe.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I got pulled over for expired plates when I moved to Florida. Was nervous when the cop pulled me over, knowing exactly what it was for, then got really nervous when another cop car arrived after 10 minutes. Turns out my previous state purged all my records fast when the plates expired (thanks Indiana), so to the cops, I could have been driving a stolen car. He could have arrested me for the expired plates but let me go, telling me to get to the BMV pronto.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

In addition to my previous post, I also got pulled over with expired tags after losing my wallet, and thus my driver's license. Could not prove who I was or that the car was mine, but, after myself and my passengers were removed and the car searched, not only did the cop let me go, but I didn't get a single ticket. For a few minutes there, I was running the numbers on my bank account in my head, trying to figure out if I had enough to bail myself out of the county jail I was sure I was headed to.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

In Rhode Island, driving with an expired license or an expired reg is either an arrest or a citation; it normally depends on what else is on your criminal background sheet. No other violations? Probably just a warning. An extensive criminal background, or if you've been warned for the exact thing in the past month? Probably an arrest.

9. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Uh, I got pulled over in Virginia with expired tags last year. The tags were from 2007. Oops. I got a ticket, but the cop didn't even impound my car. I have a long, convoluted excuse as to why the tags were so old, but it's all pretty much bullshit. Should have taken care of it. Seriously lucky on that one.

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

2007?!?! Holy crap! I'm sweating bullets every time I see a cop when I'm one month over (which I have been once or twice.)

Draft saved Draft deleted