1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Expiration dates for beer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BB Bobcat, Oct 28, 2008.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

If the beer has been refrigerated the whole time, is it still good even if it's past the expiration date on the can? I was under the impression that the date only applied to beer that has been sitting at room temperature.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Depends on if you're looking at a "born-on" date or a "freshness date," but light beers are usually good for four months after being brewed. The more hops and alcohol in a beer, the longer it's good for. Sam Adams might be good for five months and something like a doublebock would be good for like six months.

The only way to be sure? Drink it. If you don't throw up, you're good.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Wouldn't know. Never have been faced with a situation where I had beer past an expiration date. ;D

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That was going to be my point. Who has beer longer than two days? :D

5. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

At my first gig, shared an apartment with a couple of co-workers. Our place quickly became the hangout, and it was strictly BYOB. More often than not, any extra beer remained in the fridge.
    We almost always had a fresh supply of beer in the fridge, and played host to a few parties where it was strictly leftovers.
    That is the only acceptable reason - you are the party house.

6. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

I have found out the hard way. Terrible, terrible experience.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

If the bottom of the can is bulging outward, do not drink it (at least until all the other beer is gone).

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

By "good" do you mean will it still taste good or do you mean will it kill you?

If it's a lite American beer, it doesn't matter when the expiration date is, really.

9. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

*raises hand*

I'm just not a big drinker ... and I don't entertain much ... but I tend to buy six-packs (of bottles) when I buy beer. Usually takes me a month to six weeks to finish one.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yeah, because it's gonna suck before or after that date.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

A word of warning: if you ask Bobcat to fetch you a beer, you could end up with something like this:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Deployed to an island once -- about four months in without a beer -- I finally got my hands on my first beer. It was a Budweiser. The "Born On Date" had passed 14 months earlier. I drank it hurriedly.

Draft saved Draft deleted