1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exit, Stage Deli

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I told my 7 year old about it and she didn't believe that anyone would make a soda that tasted like celery. We looked it up on the web and she insisted on trying it. When we finally tracked it down, she barely had a sip before she spit it out in the sink and threw out the rest. Good girl.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The idea of New Yorkers going to Subway for a sandwich is depressing.
    If that's true, you get what you deserve.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I agree. But I just looked. There are more than 370 of them in NYC. Not sure how many in Manhattan, but they are kind of just there. Someone has to be eating in them.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I used to be blind to Subway, since I never eat there. Then it came up in a conversation, and I started to take notice of them. Holy fuck, they're everywhere.

God, I miss a good NYC deli, and I don't mean Stage, Carnegie, or 2nd Ave.

When I lived in Houston and Tampa/St. Pete, I especially missed delis and diners. Thankfully there was a good pizza joint near me in Houston, run by cousins from Queens.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Had a similar thought on my only trip to NYC two summers ago: home of some of greatest restaurants - any cuisines, any price - in the world and there was a crazy lineup at Olive fucking Garden in Times Square.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I grew up in South Jersey, across the river of Philly.
    Lots of great Italian delis.

I go back to visit and see Subway all over the place, and I wonder 'Who is eating at these places?'

I live in Central California. I don't have access to real deli - Jewish or Italian.
    When I visit back East, all I want to eat is pizza and deli.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

it's virtually impossible to find any official explanation for why iit's called 'the lobster shift' but in the newspaper biz it was used by the many folks who worked frlom late-evening until early morning; for example, my first copyboy shift was 9 p .m.-5 a.m.; i later worked midnight-8 a.m. as one of two reporters for the nydn, in the city that never sleeps as the city. as it was explained to me it was derived from the prime hours for lobster fishermen on long island and in new england to net their most shellfish....

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I just stopped at Subway while running errands on my lunch break.
    As I sat there stewing about real East Coast delis going out of business while East Coasters eat at Subway, I came up with the California parallel.

There is no reason to eat at Taco Bell in California. The worst tacqueria, taco truck or even actual Meixcan restaurant is better than Taco Bell.
    No one in California should ever eat at Taco Bell, but they're all over the place.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Tongue creeps me out. It's probably tasty as hell, and I've probably eaten worse things in hot dogs, but the idea of deliberately eating slices of an animal's tongue troubles me.

Than again, I had a friend who used to talk about how much his grandparents loved calf's brains.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My dad had tongue once. I asked him what it was like.

"Like biting your tongue," he said.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

as previously noted i was RAISED on jewish deli cuisine. the only meat that's never done it for me is tongue. my sister swears by it. but trust me, you ain't missing anything.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Shockey, I love you. But the words "Jewish deli" and "cuisine" should never appear in close proximity.

Draft saved Draft deleted