1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Executive Sports Editor, Santa Rosa Press Democrat

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by james.barger, May 16, 2008.

1. james.barger

james.barger New Member

The Press Democrat, a 75,000-circulation New York Times Regional Media Group daily newspaper in Santa Rosa, Calif., seeks an executive sports editor to lead an award-winning staff that covers sports ranging from the local events in Northern California's scenic wine country, including 40 high schools, a Division II university and a high-profile junior college, to the professional and college teams in the San Francisco Bay Area.

The candidate who wins this job will inherit an experienced, hard-working and talented staff that has been responsible for top 10 APSE section awards and numerous top 10 APSE writing awards in recent years. We're looking for someone who can shepherd daily coverage in print and an aggressive expansion of the newspaper's online platforms.

Candidates should have at least five years experience in department administration, a background in online development with an emphasis on local sports sites, well-developed skills at organization and prioritization, the ability to motivate and mentor, a keen eye for presentation, and imaginative instincts to answer the challenges facing media outlets in the 21st century.

Send resume and cover letter to:

Bob Swofford
    Managing Editor
    The Press Democrat
    P.O. Box 910
    Santa Rosa, CA 95402

You may also apply via e-mail to:
    bob.swofford@pressdemocrat.com.

Check out the newspaper online at www.pressdemo.com.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

This one sounds like it's kind of a big one. I'll take living in wine country any day of the week, thank you very much. And, as sports editor, you might even get paid enough to be able to afford to live there!

Can anybody shed light on their situation?

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Come for the wine; stay for the journalism ... or vice-versa.

4. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

I see that Jim Barger posted this. He was the sports editor. What is Jim doing now?

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Have family nearby. FANTASTIC area </understatement>

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

So old media not dying on the vine with this one? ;D

7. MrBSquared

MrBSquared Member

Pay/cost of living?

8. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Cost of living is HIGH. Average home price according to quick Web search: $517,000. Salary----I'll bet it's around $80,000.

9. thebigd

thebigd Member

Hi guys. I worked there for about 18 months in a temp job. I went through 2 sports editors in that time. It's a guild job so editors aren't allowed to write. The cost of living is getting higher, but remember it's California. The one problem one of the previous guys had is that the staff had been there for a while and are all pretty much set in their ways. They do a great job with high school/jc sports. They have a Bay Area guy who covers A's and Giants home games, and they also have guys that staff Raiders and 49ers. When I was there, they traveled with the nfl teams. It's a great area to live in, and you can do way worse then working there

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

As with many like-sized papers, it looks to have scaled back its scope. Lots of columns, but two near the top of the Web site are on Mays-Clemente and the (former Devil) Rays. Not really a college town, with Sonoma State a D-II without football. Lovely area, particularly in the nearby wine regions, but despite NYT ownership its best days seem behind it.

11. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Don't judge the paper by its web site. The web site is crummy, but about to undergo a remodeling.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

give me a percentage of newspapers in the country you can't hit with that tag, my friend.

Draft saved Draft deleted