1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Executive SE, Los Angeles Newspaper Group

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Gene Warnick, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

He is trying some things in Salt Lake City, a market that has some potential.

2. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Hey did anyone take this gig?

3. m2spts

m2spts Member

Anastasi was great to work with. He and Doug Jacobs were a good compliment, with Doug handling some of the more difficult writers, the in-office politics, etc., and Mike doing much of the day-to-day grunt work.
    Michael Rosenthal, who went to San Diego, I believe, also was there, along with Rick Hazeltine.
    It was a good group and I really enjoyed myself. My relocation out of the area, in retrospect, was a big mistake.

4. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

The Executive SE position is still open. Although I have been told the paper is close to filling the position. By whom is of great interest.
    As for Anastasi and Jacobs, they had their flaws. Who doesn't? But at least they gave the sports section some direction. At present, there are two guys doing the job four did when the section had Jacobs, Stas, Rosenthal and Hazeltine. Anyone interested should know that and also know that there are little if any reinforcements on the horizon.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

This from: laobserved.com
    LANG names a sports editor
    Kevin Modesti, a columnist at the Daily News, becomes the first sports editor of the Los Angeles Newspaper Group chain. This means he oversees the increasingly shared sports coverage of the Daily News, Long Beach Press-Telegram, San Bernardino Sun, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin, South Bay Daily Breeze, San Gabriel Valley Tribune and Pasadena Star-News.

Kevin is a great guy. He has worked there forever. Really solid columnist. Really solid sportswriter.
    Two questions:
    1 -- What took them so long to fill this spot?
    2 -- Why would he want all the headaches involved in overseeing what are now a bunch of crappy papers.

6. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Since it's Singleton, probably to just save money. And I'll put the odds at 1 percent they fill Modesti's position. Did they even bring in anyone else to interview?

And, yes, there will be many headaches overseeing those other papers, all of which, as has been mentioned before, are shells of their former selves.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Modesti's a good guy, good writer. I echo those thoughts without hesitation.

I have high hopes he can help raise the overall level. Maybe with some quality communication between those various newspapers, there can be better results. Seems if there is a high-quality journalist at the Inland Valley paper, they might still get passed over in favor of someone . . .not as good . . . . . from the flagship. Maybe with an overseeing editor, that can change?

Aw, hell . . .what color is the sky in my world?

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Kevin is a smart guy, a serious guy and a damn fine journalist.

By promoting him, I wonder if they'll just go with Tom Hoffarth and Steve Dilbeck as their columnists or if they will promote someone else to his old spot.

Congrats to Kevin

9. Editude

Editude Active Member

Las Vegas is a different chain, but the R-J also did a search before promoting a columnist to SE. Is this a trend for that size of a product? The R-J did bring in a columnist when Hawk moved over.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Ed Garney.
    Ed Graney.

11. Actually, Ed Graney (and no, I'm not ripping you for spelling it wrong, like several people on here surely would.)

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Typed it too fast. Fixed.

Draft saved Draft deleted