1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Executioner's Song: Norman Mailer Dies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jgmacg, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Executioner's Song is breathtaking.

One quibble with a previous post... I wonder if Gilmore is a serial killer.

Gilmore's disdain for the Hi-Fi Killers from Provo had interested me. Those two, Pierre and Andrews were truly sadistic, and Gilmore would taunt them every chance he got.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I don't normally like non-fiction books, but Executioner's Song held me throughout. It was an awesome, awesome book. I don't think I've ever read anything else by him, but maybe I will have to check out Armies of the Night.

RIP.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Chip McGrath writes the obit for the Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/10/books/11mailer.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

A quick flyover from A.O. Scott at Salon:

http://salon.com/books/feature/2007/11/10/norman_mailer_guide/

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

RIP.

I've never read Executioner's Song, but I read Miami And The Siege Of Chicago when I was younger and it was riveting, even long after the events he described in the book had passed into history.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

From the Times Topics page, everything Mailer.

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/m/norman_mailer/index.html

6. "All over the ship, all through the convoy, there was a knowledge that in a few hours some of them were going to be dead."

That is how one writes a sentence.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It is good and proper that it be a sad day hereabouts whenever a great writer dies.

RIP, though I wonder if he's even the least bit interested in being at peace, even now.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Fug, I hope not.

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

RIP. The way he put words together just riveted me.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Was never overly fond of the man.

But thrilled at/to the talent. What talent. My God.

RIP

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You got me on an important point. I typed that out quickly, but it's no excuse. I'm working from memory, but Gilmore killed two men, I believe--they were brutal and they occurred on a binge over two nights. He had a gas station attendant and a hotel clerk lie down face to the floor and shot them. But he was not a serial killer, in the traditional Son of Sam way.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

My reading of Mailer is limited -- mostly his journalism -- but I always loved this two-paragraph description about Los Angeles from "Superman Comes to the Supermarket." I kept meaning to post it on the thread about greatest sentences.

"It is not that Los Angeles is altogether hideous, it is even by degrees pleasant, but for an Easterner there is never any salt in the wind; it is like Mexican cooking without chile, or Chinese egg rolls missing their mustard; as one travels through the endless repetitions of that city which is the capital of suburbia with its milky pinks, its washed-out oranges, its tainted lime-yellows of pastel on one pretty little architectural monstrosity after another, the colors not intense enough, the styles never pure, and never sufficiently impure to collide on the eye, one conceives the people who live here—they have come out to express themselves, Los Angeles is the home of self-expression, but the artists are middle-class and middling-minded; no passions will calcify here for years in the gloom to be revealed a decade later as the tessellations of hard and fertile work, no, it is all open, promiscuous, borrowed, half bought, a city without iron, eschewing wood, a kingdom of stucco, the playground for mass men—one has the feeling it was built by television sets giving orders to men. And in this land of the pretty-pretty, the virility is in the barbarisms, the vulgarities, it is in the huge billboards, the screamers of the neon lighting, the shouting farm-utensil colors of the gas stations and monster drugstores, it is in the swing of the sports cars, hot rods, convertibles, Los Angeles is a city to drive in, the boulevards are wide, the traffic is nervous and fast, the radio stations play bouncing, blooping, rippling tunes, one digs the pop in a pop tune, no one of character would make love by it but the sound is good for swinging a car, electronic guitars and Hawaiian harps."

Draft saved Draft deleted