1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Example 2,326,729 that Europeans are less prudish about sex than we are

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Those who see Saw (accidental) do so on purpose. When the government includes gore in its public service announcements, get back to me.

And if you'd like to throw away any of my points, I always prefer substantive argument to simple decree.

What is that based on? The native europeans are having childern at below replacement rate, and the Muslim immigrants are having far, far more, and have not yet shown any communal inclination to assimilate. It may take 1 generation, maybe 2 or 3, but which of the elements sof this trend do you see changing?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

There's no reason to think birth rates will stay high; a better life standard afforded in Europe should lead to lower birth rates, which is what generally happens with prosperity. Plus many Europeans governments are starting to clamp down on immigration. And you can't assume that these Muslims are going to be necessarily politically active or always monolithically act.

3. Guy_Incognito

You're assuming assimilation - it hasn't happened yet, and there's no reason to assume that they're going to start that I can see. I hope you're right, I think you're wrong.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

So Guy, millions of young Muslim men and women are going to attend schools, clubs and parties with European kids of similar age, and after being exposed to all that prosperity, all that excess, all the glories of Western Literature, film, cinema and sex, and a huge, huge majority of them is still going to want a conservative society where women can't drive, can't show a little leg in public, where Western culture is considered the devil, and where they only get one book to read for the rest of their lives? Why are these people immigrating to Western Europe and American anyway then? Why not just stay in the Middle East and North Africa? People can assimilate and still hold onto a piece of their culture.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

So, to get back to your original point what exactly are they "forcing" on you?

And are you equating gore with sex? What exactly is your point?

This sounds an awful lot like the folks who claimed our federal government was "forcing" French down Canadian's throats when our country was declared officially bilingual.

And so what if it's done on "the public dime"?

So are highways.

6. Guy_Incognito

Of course they CAN, millions have over history. They happen not to be doing it. I hope they start.

7. Guy_Incognito

You know what? I'm pretty comfortable leaving you with the last word here, I can't find anything there to respond to.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, I'll make it simple. One question.

What exactly are they forcing on you?

9. Guy_Incognito

I don't live there, they force nothing on me. I don't think explicit sex or violence (they aren't the same, but I think this applies to both) should be broadcast as a tag along to something else. You want to see everything, great, but why can't people make their own decisions?

10. Yes, Guy, and I don't think one nickel of my tax money should go to Dick Cheney's salary or to help build a massive embassy in Baghdad,.
    Your point being?

11. Guy_Incognito

I assume you mean my secondary point, and I assume you know the answer.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Guy, I think a lot of us aren't buying the credibility of hondo's arguments after uttering this gem.

As DoubleDown pointed, Lebanon has been part of Europe since when?

Draft saved Draft deleted