1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ex-Tide footballer Jimmy Johns rebounding

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Seems like from reading this that the man understands where he went wrong and is truly remorseful.
    This is a good column/story.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20110731/COL0504/107310343/Mr-Football-04-Don-t-make-mistakes-made-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

2. JPsT

JPsT Member

Makes a good sandwich as well.

I'm off to pick some low-hanging fruit.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I don't habitually dig up old threads but every time I hear a negative-to-positive story like this I secretly wonder if the person will stay on track, and I maintain hope they are able to.
    And maybe it's just that I witnessed this guy's demise sort of first-hand because I follow the SEC closer than some of you or because he was a Mississippi prep star.
    Maybe it's the parent in me but damn I hope this young man can stay focused and represent himself as a good person.
    http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/12/jimmy_johns_getting_the_right.html

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Why would you have to wonder it secretly? He is going to have to beat the odds in a big way to avoid prison for the rest of his life.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ah yes, "mentoring the youth."

Moral of the story: Be a football star, get nailed for selling cocaine in late 2008, and by late 2011 you can be lecturing kids on how to live their lives.

Any parent who would tolerate their kid being exposed to this shit needs to have their parental rights revoked.

The message the kids need to have delivered is that shit like this can fuck up your life forever, so you fucking better not do this shit in the first place.

Odds of Jimmy Johns not going to jail again in the next 10 years: about 20 percent.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Secretly, as in I say to myself or I wonder to myself...
    That sort of thing

And Starman, I don't really care about you're views on who should have their parental rights revoked and who shouldn't.
    But tell anyone else who will listen to you. Be my guest.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm sick of stories like this. Give me a story 10 years from now when the player stays out of trouble and not trying to cash in.

The article is the tried-and-true formulaic redemption story that papers love to trumpet, right until the subject is back in handcuffs.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I had no idea who this guy was, never heard of him. Opened up the story, saw the picture, then read this:

I did a double-take when it said Mr. Football in 2004. I would have placed money on the guy in the photo at the top of that column being 40, at least.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Back in my earlier days I did a few of these stories. "Ah yes, I made some silly mistakes, I was misguided, blah blah, but now I have my life all straightened out and now I am here to mentor the youth."

Almost all of the subjects ended up fucking up again within several years. (Some, much worse and more violently.)

For about the last decade, I've flat-out refused to do these stories.

Fuck it. The message the kids should get is to not ever do this shit in the first place.

The best thing the kids could probably see would be Jimmy Johns in leg irons in the darkest dungeon of a PMITA prison.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Couldn't Jimmy Johns get cash from a booster like other high-profile college football players? Selling cocaine is just stupid when there's plenty of free cash out there for guys like him.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Starman, I agree with you that many of these "offenders" wind up messing up again.
    There's no question.
    And again, I'm commenting on this one because I saw it a little more up close than, say, a player's drug bust at Ohio State or Western Michigan.

Carry on.

I agree, too, Stitch. These guys have it all and still manage to screw it up.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You would think the guy made enough money off his sandwich shops and not have to deal in coke.

Draft saved Draft deleted