1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ex-GOP congressman helped Al-Qaida

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

URGENT
    Former congressman charged in conspiracy involving terror fundraising ring
    Eds: SUBS 5th graf to include that Siljander’s attorney had no immediate comment. ADDS 6 more grafs with additional detail. Moving on general news and financial services.
    By LARA JAKES JORDAN
    Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) — A former congressman and delegate to the United Nations was indicted Wednesday as part of a terrorist fundraising ring that allegedly sent more than $130,000 to an al-Qaida and Taliban supporter who has threatened U.S. and international troops in Afghanistan.
    The former Republican congressman from Michigan, Mark Deli Siljander, was charged with money laundering, conspiracy and obstructing justice for allegedly lying about lobbying senators on behalf of an Islamic charity that authorities said was secretly sending funds to terrorists.
    A 42-count indictment, unsealed in U.S. District Court in Kansas City, Mo., accuses the Islamic American Relief Agency of paying Siljander $50,000 for the lobbying — money that turned out to be stolen from the U.S. Agency for International Development.
    Siljander, who served two terms in the U.S. House of Representatives, was appointed by President Reagan to serve as a U.S. delegate to the United Nations for one year in 1987.
    He could not immediately be reached for comment Wednesday, and his attorney in Kansas City, JR Hobbs, had no immediate comment.
    _____

Buh ... buh ... ninety thousand in the freezer.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Great. Its not those "bleeding heart, card-carrying ACLU members" giving comfort to the enemy, its those hard-a** Republicans asking "what's my taste?"

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

But will the Republican in question go running to the ACLU to defend him?

4. Like a scalded hound, joe.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

First of all, if he's guilty, fry his ass.

Second, I notice how quick you people are to make the logical leap that somehow this taints the entire Republican party. If I had said all Democrats were frat-boy lechers because of Bill Clinton, you would have screamed to high heaven.

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

But a lot of Democrats are frat-boy lechers. :D

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Its just that the hypocrisy is hilarious. The Republicans cast themselves as the guardians of freedom then one of their own is caught helping the terrorists.

As for frat-boy lechers, I do not believe the Dems have ever cast themselves as pure and immune from lechery. I believe that both sides of the aisle have an equal stake in lechery.

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

The parties have far more in common than they would have people believe.

But back on topic, holy fuck. I wonder if Faux News will "mistakenly" identify him as a Dem like they did with Uncle Hornytext in Florida last year.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Siljander was a holier-than-thou West Michigan Reaganite... karma's a bitch.

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

He thought the Taliban was too liberal, I suspect, much like the douchebag known as Rep. Walberg.

Siljander was elected while I was living in Adrian, in southern Michigan, in 1981. The Siljander office sent out a copy of Reagan's calling Siljander to congratulate him on his election, and Siljander goes off on a 30-second rhapsody about Reagan that included almost everything but "Dear Leader." Reagan pauses a second, then thanks him, but you can tell he's thinking, "Who the hell is this weirdo? And how soon can we get off the phone."

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I'd line him up and shoot him tomorrow.

12. Mr. Google provides the details.
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,954747,00.html

A staunch Reaganite, although it should be said Ronnie sold the terrorist sponsors the actual missiles.

Draft saved Draft deleted