1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ex-cop: Don't give money to panhandlers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WolvEagle, Sep 29, 2009.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Anyone stupid enough to leave their home with a panhandler working in the yard/garage, etc., deserves to be parted with his/her tools/money/jewelry, etc.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

He was a very good friend. I don't know all of my friends personal problems. Maybe you know yours and that's great. Some people are very private about something so delicate.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I don't know all my friends' personal problems, true. If a friend were inches away from becoming a bum, I would know. Otherwise, I'm not a good friend.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Again, you don't know everyone's situation. Maybe we weren't as good of friends as I thought. That's cool. The bottom line is that there was someone I knew in need panhandling because he was down on his luck. It can happen to anyone on these threads and may have.

5. slytiger

slytiger Member

I don't mind giving money to panhandlers. I just ask that they give me value for my money.

In Vancouver there was guy give you a 2 minute freestyle on any word you suggested. I tried to trip him up with the word orange. He rapped about the 2003 NCAA Title team.

Another Guy I met in Seattle would tell me jokes. Bad Jokes would earn him a Dollar and any joke I would likely repeat later in the day would get $5.

If they don't have a specialty, I'll ask for a story or a poem or a Jig.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe Drip's a tightwad. That would explain why the good friend never asked for some help with the rent or whatever.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yeah, I can be tight but I didn't know about his hard times. Would've gladly given him a few bucks, had I known. Again Ace, some people aren't into begging friends for dough.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Especially ones who beg strangers on the street, I imagine.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

I suppose pride may have played a part in his not asking for money. But Ace, I can't stress enough that he was a good guy whose luck went bad. I understand things are much better for him now.

10. three_bags_full

Did you inspect the backdoor before, or after, you gave him/her the money?

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

What are you talking about?

12. three_bags_full

Did you give him/her the backdoor boogie BEFORE, or AFTER, you paid your "friend?"

Draft saved Draft deleted