1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ex-college football player killed by cop

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain Obvious, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm not a legal expert, so I ask in seriousness, would some type of double jeopardy protection apply to the cop? DA can't get an indictment from one grand jury, so he keeps going to the well until he finds one who goes along? Can he submit the same evidence to a hundred juries until he gets his way?
    Whether or not there's merit to the charges, that seems to straddle an ethical line.

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Jeopardy doesn't attach until much later in the process, so it's OK for a prosecutor to send a case before a grand jury multiple times. Jeopardy typically attaches in a felony case once the trial jurors (not the grand jurors) have been seated.

It's highly unusual for a N.C. grand jury to refuse to indict, though. That's likely a sign of weakness in the case.

I would not be surprised if the defense files a pre-trial motion to dismiss based on the first grand jury's refusal to indict, but I would also be surprised if it was granted.

3. inkstainedwretch2

inkstainedwretch2 New Member

One of the greatest sayings in jurisprudence is "Any prosecutor worth his salt can get a ham sandwich indicted." Curious as to why it was necessary to go to a new grand jury. I suspect it will come out before the next election.

4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

That saying is particularly true in N.C., where neither the prosecutor nor the defendant are entitled to put on evidence. In fact, neither are allowed in the jury room. Only the witnesses the prosecutor selects goes into the grand jury room - meaning the only evidence the jury hears is typically what the lead investigating officer tells them. The structure makes it ridiculously easy, in most cases.

5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

12 shots? WTF? Did this cop think he was facing off with Jason Voorhees?

Draft saved Draft deleted