1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ex-artist football player graphic

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by BertoltBrecht, Aug 29, 2007.

1. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Feature story on a 6-foot-6 340-pound offensive lineman who used to draw pictures as a kid, mainly a sort of street art or graffiti art.
    I was thinking of running a filter over the photo of the player, then dropping it on a replica cover of Lowrider Arte, a magazine the lineman used to try to emulate.
    Open to any suggestions, have to do it tonight...

2. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Could you not just have him produce a drawing like he used to, or find one he had done as a kid and who him holding it?

I worry that you're overcomplicating things with the filters and the overlays.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Get a vandal graffiti artist to spray paint your headline on the side of your paper's building, then shoot it.

4. Fisch

Fisch Member

I agree. Why not just take a photo of him drawing? I think that's the problem I see too often on NPD these days. People over-design when a photo can do the work for you.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

There's probably a lot of fun stuff you could do if you had more time, but since you're doing it tonight, just get a shot of him painting and be done with it.

Or cut his head out and stick it on one of those dogs playing poker. Now THAT'S high art.

6. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Well, he was out of town. And his mother has all his old drawings and she doesn't live close to here anymore. I just ran one of his team photos under a colored pencil-like photoshop filter. I looked all right.
    The drawing thing did occur to me. His uncle taught him most of what he knows art-wise. I was going to get him to do a drawing of the kid for the centerpiece.

7. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Not really of any help to you, Bertolt, but that reminds me of one my favorite photos during my time at my current shop. It was for our male scholar-athlete; he was a damn good soccer player and at the time wanted to become an actor - headed off to NYU, the whole nine.

We got him dressed up in a Shakesperian costume, holding his arm straight out (a la Hamlet and the skull, at least I think it was Hamlet) with a soccer ball. (As a footnote, the kid's name is Travis Tucker. He bailed out of acting - he discovered he liked it more as a hobby - and once out of NYU, made a pretty deep run on American Idol a few years ago.)

But the point stands. We didn't have to do anything terribly fancy because the art was so strong.

Draft saved Draft deleted