1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evgeni Malkin escapes Russia via Finland/Canada

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ericbowser, Aug 12, 2006.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Well, I've got hope for Whitney and Welch, which shows how barren the landscape is on defense. And hopefully, they can go the old-school Pens route: Stick bad players on a line with Lemieux Crosby, let them run up stats and then trade them for players who are actually good. ;D

2. Flash

Flash Guest

I've kind of thought Fleury is already well on his way to being a burnout. The way they've treated him the last couple of years, I can't imagine his confidence is all that high.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Well they did just resign him, so he has another few years to be treated like crap. They treated him terribly after the world juniors the one year where he gave up that brutal goal and Canada lost. I think it was at least anoth two or three weeks before he played in anygame at any level. I don't think he has quite rebounded from that, he just hasn't been the same.

4. ericbowser

ericbowser Member

Update: According to AP's Alan Robinson, Malkin's agents JP Barry and Pat Brisson are not returning phone calls. Pens spokesman Tom McMillan said the team would have no comment on the developments.

There is talk in Russia, Malkin secured his release with Metallurg by paying a $1.5 million transfer fee. The NHL, especially Gary Bettman, have been adamant with its NHL clubs to refuse all demands for individual transfer deals with clubs in Russia. If Malkin paid his own way without the help of his agents or Pittsburgh Penguins, there is little NHL or Gary Bettman could do to block his escape from Metallurg for Pens.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

He has all the tools to be a great goalie ... it's just his head that will keep him back now. Hopefully, Pittsburgh hasn't messed with it too much. If he needs development time, tell him as much and leave him in the AHL for a full season. If he can play in the NHL, let him.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

If he paid his own way out, then kudos to him. He has taken control of his career out of the Russians' hands and into his own.

7. ericbowser

ericbowser Member

Update:

Flurry of Malkin News and Movement

Here's what I know at the moment

- Velichkin has already made contact with lawyers in US to file a restraining order on the NHL and Penguins. (12:21 eastern)

- Evgeni Malkin was practicing with his Russian Superleague team (Metallurg Magnitogorsk) to prepare for the 2006 Tampere Cup in Finland. When Malkin arrived at the Helsinki airport in Finland with his team, he slipped out on the runway for a plane heading to United States. (according to Metallurg GM Gennady Velichkin)

- Velichkin has told Reuters, he will file a lawsuit in Pittsburgh courts to receive fair compensation for the rights to Malkin. Metallurg believes they should receive a figure around $10 million like soccer transfer deals. He's accusing the NHL and Penguins of "sports terrorism"

- Malkin's parents expected to be under heavy watch and threats have told Vladimir Tretiak, they have no idea where Malkin is or was going to do.

- NHL official said the "We support Mr. Malkin's right to make personal choices." The NHL made it clear to the clubs and agents, they would not allow for a player to receive a release by their payment. If Malkin secured his own release, he would be eligible to play.

- NHL may force IIHF to make a decision on the World Championship with not only barring Russian NHLers from competition but also all players from entering the tournament in Russia. Russia's refusal to sign the IIHF agreement has hurt the reputation of the IIHF organization and its members.

- Penguins spokesman Tom McMillan has continued to remain silent on the issue and Malkin's agents JP Barry and Pat Brisson have issued no comment.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Call Barry Melrose with the minute-by-minute updates.

He might give a shit.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Actually, Smasher, if Bowser is accurate, that's interesting information.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

"This is pure sports terrorism"? Give me a break.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Yes, there is a word dying to be watered down by its overuse.

12. ericbowser

ericbowser Member

Smasher - I'm sorry you don't think this is a big story but just because the ESPN-ization of sports has hooked you into believing hockey isn't a major sport, there are still plenty of writers, fans, and businessmen that believe it is an exciting sport.

Wicked - A reporter in Russia told me Velichkin has already been in contact with lawyers in US and want to stop Malkin from playing in the NHL for Pittsburgh. Metallurg doesn't think the US courts will recognize the 2-week notice law because Malkin signed his new contract. Velichkind thinks they should get anywhere from $10-25 million for Malkin's release, like soccer.

Draft saved Draft deleted