1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Everything is worse is Texas, players assault ref

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Don't you think they should plow up the football field too?

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

And douse it with Agent Orange.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

And make it a community garden that the football team has to tend to.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I understand it's a potential criminal case, and minors are not named in criminal cases, but as of now they've only been suspended, not charged. Still, I can't find their named anywhere. If they were suspended for drinking, or grades, they would be named in a heartbeat.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That's one of the most cowardly things I've ever seen on a playing field; since when did it become socially acceptable to show how "tough" you are by hitting a defenseless person? We collectively as a society have failed if that's how you show your toughness.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I once witnessed a kid deck a ref after a game. You could kind of see it coming because the last two minutes must of had five personal foul flags for crap the team was saying to the ref. The kid involved and a second kid who punched a visiting administor were both expelled. I don't know if criminal charges were ever brought, but I'd wager these kids are probably finished at that school once an expulsion hearing can be arranged.

7. Armchair_QB

Not sure how I feel about expulsion. That seems a bit much.

However, they shouldn't step on a football field again unless they're there to mow it.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

They intentionally tried to seriously injure an unsuspecting person who was not attempting to harm them.

I wouldn't have a problem with expulsion or criminal charges.

Tweener and SnarkShark like this.
  9. Armchair_QB

Don't have a problem with criminal charges either. They're warranted.

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I'm actually against expulsion. That means they could be given another chance by a coach with no moral compass and a strong desire to win. If they stay in school, they get to watch and reflect on how stupid they are.

11. Armchair_QB

There's no way the UIL lets them on a football field - or any other field or court - for any public school in the state after this. I doubt TAPPS or any of the private school leagues would allow it either. They'd have a tough time hiring officials if they did.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If those two had been spectators and done the same thing to a fellow spectator, they'd be expelled and facing serious criminal charges. There's absolutely no reason that shouldn't be the case here.

Draft saved Draft deleted