1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Everything I write is terrible

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Clever username, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Am I the only one who feels this way?

I have this high opinion of myself as a writer, but then when I sit down to actually write, I hate everything that comes out.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I do, but then I hate pretty much everything I do in every aspect of life, so I'm probably not your go-to on this one.

3. Clever username

Ah.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Maybe you should try selling shoes.

5. Clever username

Well, I'm probably overreacting. I just feel like I'm capable of so much more, but rarely do anything that I feel like I haven't written or read before. Every once in a while I'll turn a phrase that'll make me smile and renew my faith.

6. Clever username

Women's shoes? In a mall?

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Only if you've thrown four touchdowns in one game for Polk High. Otherwise, you'll just suck at that job too.

8. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Cmon you mean RAN for four touchdowns. Bundy was the successor to Gayle Sayers and the predecessor to Walter Payton.

9. awriter

awriter Active Member

It's good to be your own worst critic. But if your boss agrees with you ...

10. Running Bear

Running Bear Member

If it's any consolation, I'm not a big fan of everything I write, either.

I always figure I could have done something better, be it a turn of phrase or a different word here or there.

I've been in press boxes where I've actually seen people looking at their computers, laughing at their own stuff and saying, "Damn, I'm good."

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

If only you could see what the boss writes. Cheer up CU, there's always tomorrow.

12. Babs

Babs Member

I usually like what I write at the time, but when I go back to read it later, I hate it. So I try not to read my past work, unless I need to for research purposes. Saves me a lot of self-flagellation.

Draft saved Draft deleted