1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Everything Bowl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mb, Nov 27, 2010.

1. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Boise has athletes of equal caliber to ND. I've seen this year's ND team. I've seen Boise State.
    Ain't no real difference. In a few years? Maybe. But not right now.

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Just checked the official site, you're right ... listed wrong here: http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl_games_bowl_schedule.html

3. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

You know, the team that beat Boise lost to a team that lost to Colorado. And every one of you would berate me for suggesting that Colorado is a better team than Boise State.
    But yet, on this thread and others, I read stuff like "Boise would beat the crap out of USC" and "Boise would shitstomp Notre Dame" and "Boise would wipe the floor with Ohio State" and you expect it to be taken as gospel.
    The point is, you really don't know until it actually, you know, happens on the field.
    The only thing that is certain is that the vast majority of you let your personal biases cloud your judgement.

4. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

??? Boise lost to Nevada. Hawaii is the only team to beat Nevada this year.

Nevermind...I re-read your post. I've never agreed with the ol' 'they beat the team that beat the team that beat the team....' train of thought.

Football is somewhat like boxing in that styles make fights, especially when the talent level between teams is somewhat even. Boise State hasn't had elite level talent for most of this decade. Their Fiesta win in '06 was over an injury-riddled and, by their standards, mediocre Oklahoma team.

This Boise team is far, far better than that squad. There are 8-10 NFL players on the Boise squad. They have the talent and the coaching to hang with ND.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Thank you, Tom Lemming. I've watched Notre Dame and I've watched Boise. Boise is a mile better, no comparison.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Well, let's find out. Any AQ conferences want to volunteer to take on Boise State as a member? Besides you're not talking week-in, week-out. You're saying specific teams are better than Boise if they played them. One game.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I've never understood the "real athlete" argument.

Yet it always gets trotted out to explain why some team like Notre Dame with a roster chock full of 5-stars is always going to be better but they always end up underperforming and three quarters of them don't make it to the NFL.

Like coaching, scheme and old-fashioned luck never seem to be factors at all.

Just dumb but the Boise haters can't seem to think of enough ways to trash that program.

And name a top-flight BCS program that actually plays top-flight competition week in and week out.

At best, most schools will have six challenging games in a season, and that's at best. Most teams can look at the schedules and circle nine or 10 games that they know they are going to win before the ball is even snapped.

8. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I don't either - but it's a great example of that (flawed theory) and every bit as flawed suggest "Boise is a mile better than Notre Dame" until they actually suit it up.

9. dooley_womack1

Um, they did. Against a much-better-than-mediocre Virginia Tech team. And in a BCS bowl against Oklahoma. And when that's about all you are given a chance to face as far as elite teams, that's what you have.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Having been to a few Peach Bowls already, I'd hoped MSU could land somewhere in Fla. on New Year's Day.
    Looking recently at the payouts from last year, is it true that the Peach pays over 5 million, while the NY Day bowls in Fla. pay just 4 mil, 2 mil and 1.8 mil?
    Seems odd that they would pay less than the Peach.
    Anyone with any info?
    ------------
    EDIT: I see now: The SEC team gets paid 2 mil plus, the ACC team gets 3 mil plus.

Gator, Outback and Capital One all pay as much or more comparably to the Peach.

Carry on.

11. dooley_womack1

Not their fault. Can't make a priori assumptions about teams' relative talent. Doing that gets you a crappy conference having a BCS berth and a better conference not having one.

12. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

The BCS schools wanted no part of Boise or TCU last year, and were elated with the Fiesta Bowl matchup.

And they were equally happy that the same two schools played each other in a very, very good Poinsettia Bowl game in Decemeber 2008.

The presidents and AD's can talk all the shit they want, but those BCS coaches know the deal with these teams. And they want no parts of a matchup with them if they can help it.

Draft saved Draft deleted