1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Every newspaper needs a bar

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 8, 2009.

1. The Big I -- derived from the original "International Bar and Lounge," a name no one would recognize -- is a quick stumble across the street from the office. It's in a plaza of shut-down buildings.

A downtown traffic project threatened to close the entire plaza, and succeeded with five of the six businesses there -- including a Mexican restaurant that served burgers the size of my fist. But not the Big I, which stubbornly fought to remain and won.

It's not what it once was, even what it was a year ago much less 50, but I can still walk in and have a beer waiting for me by the time I find a seat (Molson, the cheapest thing on tap) from a barmaid that calls customers "sweetie" -- with a delightful hint of sarcasm.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Myself and another co-worker, on many an occasion, solved the world's problems over a six- or 12-pack in the alley beside the press after work. Sitting on my tailgate, shooting the breeze with beers, roasted peanuts and the occasional spicy Dorito bag.

Some of the best nights of drinking I can remember.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I can remember rushing to a Bennigans or O'Houlihans or Shenanigans or whatever and praying to make last call. If we did, we were good for an hour or two.

Draft saved Draft deleted