1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Everett Herald says sports columnist lifted passages from SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hwkcrz1, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

assholes like this need to be fired on the spot. It's even more amazing this guy will likely keep his job.
    Another example of the journalistic double standard. We don't report our own layoffs properly and we don't provide adequate discipline for offenders of our most sacred code.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Given this market, this is instant-termination stuff. No appeal. No parole.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Not usually. Demonstrable plagiarism is specifically listed as a summary firing offense in most Newspaper Guild contracts.

There are plenty of "worse" things you can do (most criminal offenses) which don't qualify for summary firing, but at least in the Guild contracts I've seen, plagiarism is specifically listed as a termination offense.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It should be. I know of one paper where they nailed three guys doing it in a year. One was fired and has never been heard from again in this business. The next one was a big time writer and the paper swept it under the rug. The rest of the staff found out months after the fact when another writer got nailed. They tried to fire him, but he threatened to sue since the other writer wasn't disciplined. He ended up getting a short suspension.

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

6. I got plagiarized once - by the worst writer/reporter I ever competed against. On a freaking non-revenue prep sports preview.

The person was suspended for a week and, less than a year later, had a job at a major, major metro, where said person remains today.

Kind of the beginning of the end of my disillusionment with the business side of this.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've lost track how many times writers have stolen quotes that I got in one-on-one settings.

"Oh, I thought that was a pool quote..."

"Well, I wrote "said recently" so that makes it OK."

"Well, I wrote "has said" so that makes it OK."

8. How depressing to read the two columns. This guy really thought he'd get away with it because he changed Dum-Dums to Blizzards and picks to screens. What an asshole.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Not to say it's not terrible at any level, but how much more dumb is it to steal the column's kicker line, which is exactly the kind of thing people are going to remember?

10. I don't think that's plagiarism.

11. RossLT

RossLT Guest

The cops reporter at the paper I used to work at did that all the time. She just reproduced the press releases and never got did any reporting. She did meet the byline count every week, because that is all that matters.

12. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

At my first stop the local TV guys used to read our stories damn near verbatim on the air. It was a P.M. so I'd go home and was sitting down eating dinner and listening to newscast, having proofed the paper about five hours previously. Started to realize it all sounded familiar then picked up the paper and started to read along with them. Got an apology, though not on the air, which to me was a "we're sorry we got caught."

Draft saved Draft deleted