1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ever seen a Baptist dad do this?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Sep 4, 2011.

1. J Staley

J Staley Member

The rights and treatment of women in Islamic cultures seems to be a separate point.

This woman was killed for having a kid out of wedlock, which apparently violates tenets of Islam. That act does violate Christian tenets too.

To me that is the same as abortion doctor murders; it's done because it violates the tenets of the murderer's religion.

I wonder if having kids out of wedlock is legal in Jordan?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

15 to 20 times per year, in Jordan alone -- a country with less than 6.5 million people.

And, Jordan is considered "modern" in comparison to other Muslim countries.

3. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

The (mis)treatment of women is also systemic under Christianity and Judaism as well when you interpret the founding texts literally. Hell, a lot of the sexism stems from the exact same verses and laws.

Women have very few given rights in the Bible and Torah. Heck, the Old Testament tells exactly how and why to sell your daughter into slavery. Leviticus places a freaking monetary value on human life with women being worth less than men.

It's not nearly as confined to Islam as you're trying to make it seem.

4. YankeeFan

In the West, we have a separation between Church & State. We live under secular laws, not religious laws.

This is not the case in Muslim nations. Sharia is the basis for law.

Also, Christians are not bound by Old Testament laws.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Oh yeah? Says who?

6. Smash Williams

Here's one from the new Testament for you, then, via the apostle Paul:

Now, if your argument is that the problem is using religious texts for the basis of laws, then I can agree with you. I just don't think it's an Islam problem; rather, it's a "separation of church and state" problem. Countries that base their laws on any religion, be it the Torah, Koran or Bible (or others), are setting themselves up to persecute women and minorities in a way a secular government would find unreasonable.

7. YankeeFan

Yes, Islam as the basis of law is the major problem.

The other thing is that the Bible is more open to interpretation. Most Christians believe it's the "inspired Word of God".

(Yes, some take it literally, more pay no attention to it.)

Your quote is from Paul -- a Saint and a leader of the early Church. But, he's not God.

Muslims believe the Quoran is the literal word of God. They believe it was transcribed by Muhammad. It's not open to interpretation. It's not even supposed to be translated from Arabic.

Also, Jesus has no misogynistic, racist, etc. quotes attributed to him.

There's a lot wrong with how humans have carried on Jesus' teachings. There's nothing Jesus said that I am embarrassed by.

His teachings stand up after 2,000 years.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

So what's our reaction to Islamic honor killings supposed to be?
    Should we ban Islam in this country?
    Should Sept. 11 be National Lynch a Muslim Day?

If anyone's worried about Sharia law coming to America, don't be.
    It's specifically prohibited by the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment.

9. YankeeFan

Can we at least be horrified and not pretend there's a Christian equivalent?

Moral equivalency mocks the problem.

10. Smash Williams

YF - Many Christians also believe the Bible is the literal word of God, as you admit. Around 30 percent of the US does, according to this: http://thenewamerican.com/culture/faith-and-morals/8163-thirty-percent-of-americans-think-bible-is-actual-word-of-god . And I don't believe that all Muslims believe the Koran should be taken so literally - I figure it's a lot like Christianity, where you've got sects that believe it is absolutely infallible and sects who find it more allegorical. I couldn't find numbers on that though. Silly Gallup not polling the entire Muslim world.

And Jesus might not have spouted a lot of misogyny, but Moses and God sure did in a huge variety of verses.

I am horrified by this. But I'm also horrified by the conservative Christian sects in Africa that kill women who are raped or use their religion as the justification for extreme bloodshed. To me, it's not a which religion thing but something nearly every religion can be turned into by man,

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The point is that the enemy of civility is fundamentalism (usually religion-based) -- whether it be Islamic, Christian, or some other flavor of fundamentalism.

12. J Staley

J Staley Member

This.

The documentary, "For the Bible Tells Me So" had a biblical scholar who talked about fundamentalists. He said the fundamentalist movement is relatively recent, as in the past century.

Draft saved Draft deleted