1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ever Hit a Deer?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JNEWFIFTY, Jun 8, 2011.

1. JNEWFIFTY

JNEWFIFTY Member

Dark road, very few lights. This things scampers out, looks right at me and kept going. I veered left (thank God there was no one coming the other way) and the thing basically took out my right quarter panel, bumper and left huge dents on the hood and right front passenger door.

I'll say this. If you're tired driving home late at night, that will surely wake you up.

Anyone have an experience like this?

2. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Re: Ever Hit a Dear?

I'm pretty sure hitting a Dear is vehicular manslaughter.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If you hit a "dear," I hope you told them how much they meant to you before doing so.

If you meant a "deer," no. But I'm sorry it happened to you. Dodged enough of them over the years ... a lot of luck and maneuverable vehicles come in handy ...

4. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

Got a deer coming home from a basketball game two winters ago. Did several thousand in damage, but was able to drive it home after checking with the sheriff's office. Was very, very annoyed to find out the company wasn't obligated to pay the co-pay despite me using my own car for company work.

5. JNEWFIFTY

JNEWFIFTY Member

Peanut gallery, nice. Fixed

6. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Driving home from a football game that went very long one night. I was in a hurry to get back to the office, I came within inches of hitting a deer. Scared the shit outta me.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What did you do with the deer? Summer sausage or venison jerky?

8. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Fuck it. [/SJWisconsin]

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Had many close calls when I still live in South Jersey. Haven't come close in a long time.
    I know they do a lot of damage to a vehicle. I knew a kid in high school who hit one. Jacked him and his car up.

10. JNEWFIFTY

JNEWFIFTY Member

I've been driving the road I was on at night for years and narrowly missed deer on several occasions. Honestly, I was overdue to drill one.

11. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Hit one once, but he was asking for it and had been drinking.

12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I've hit three deer. Two in NW Ohio and one in SE Michigan. My insurance agent just loves me.

they really are the world's stupidest animal. Run into the road, freeze in the middle of the road and then stutter step their way across.

My sister and her husband once hit a cow that had wandered out onto the highway.

Draft saved Draft deleted