1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ever heard of this book?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i have to ask why? why do they want to know?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That very well might be it. It comes as close as anything else I've been able to find. Published 30 years ago, mentions the Earth's axis wobbling (guy's exact words when he talked to me), similar to Lucifer's Hammer according to some sites (another book the guy mentioned). I'll give it a try.

And t_p, this is about as mundane an interesting library quest as it can get. This book is just something this guy remembered reading awhile ago and has never been able to find again. It's his Holy Grail quest, he said. If you can find something for a guy like that in less than a day, he's a customer for life.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I believe this was the same premise for the very bad George Peppard movie Damnation Alley.

Lucifer's Hammer was about a comet hitting the Earth.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The movie and the book were both post-nuclear, but very different plots. Zelazny wanted his name removed from the movie.

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

For good reason: It sucked. Hard. In fact, if I recall correctly, he wouldn't allow it to be shown in the film room at BaltiCon 21 (where he was the Guest of Honor).

If you can, find a copy of Last Defender of Camelot (the 1980 hardcover) to read "Damnation Alley" in its original form. From Zelazny's intro: "I like this version better than the book. But if there hadn't been a book there probably wouldn't have been a movie sale. On the other hand, I was not overjoyed with the film. On the other hand, no one has to sit up in the middle of the night to read the story. . . ."

As noted, Lucifer's Hammer chronicles a catastrophic comet strike, not a pole shift.

Draft saved Draft deleted