1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ever donated plasma for money?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bradley Guire, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Decent reviews of a newly opened donation center near me, payouts of $150-200 per month. I may go on Tuesday and try to qualify. Needles don't bother me. Any experience from the rogue's gallery?

2. Prepare to be there a while. A LONG while.

The first time is typically the longest, six to eight hours.
    After that .. it's nothing to be there three, four five hours.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There's a plasma joint not too far from my house in our urban 'hood and the parking lot is always packed. But let's just say it doesn't look like lawyers and CEOs are donating on their off days.

Sounds like the per-hour rate isn't too good.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I did it when I was fresh out of college. I never had an 8-hour stay, but several hours, yes. Plus, I apparently have very thin veins and arteries, so they marked my chart so the most experienced person on staff would put my needle in after the first like 4 attempts led to blowing out my veins. I bruised a lot.

Take a book or your iPod. You just have to lie there, squeezing the ball, while they drain you. :)

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Not since college. A liquor store was out front and we could cash the check there, then buy booze with it.

You go drunk much faster om the days you "donated" plasma.

I recall that it was very time consuming but I don't remember exactly how long it took.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

NIH has a flu study here in MD where they quarantine you for nine days and get you sick with the H1N1 virus.

Pays $3000.

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I did it in University until I got Mono. Payout was $15 for a few hours sitting in a recliner, eating cookies and drinking pop. There was always a line to get in and sell.

8. This too ... The stickers rate a few notches below Red Cross attendants at blood drives.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

$20 Every other week in College Park many many years ago

10. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Sold my plasma in Amsterdam.
    Spent it all in a night,
    buying drinks at the Melk Weg
    for a soldier in drag.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Did it several times while in college. I never had a super long wait. I think my first time was 2-3 hours and much shorter after that. IIRC, I got about $25 a time and you could do it twice a week.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I get light headed just thinking about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted