1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ever cover two games at the same time?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, May 13, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Never covered two games at the same time. I did cover a NHL game and a college hoops game in the same day. Luckily, both games were in the same arena.

2. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I've done two HS ice hockey games at once, but only while having to write a few paragraphs (with one quote) on the other game. And in both cases I was able to get any agate that I needed after the game. That would obviously not be the case for a baseball game where I needed a full box score.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Funny, but that's what I did today. Rainouts forced softball semis and finals to the same day, and a combo of long games and an injury delay made it pretty tough to keep everything straight. God only knows if I did. But that's what you have to deal with sometimes.

4. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

Four girls soccer state semifinals, three different sites. Games 1 & 2 at same place, Game 3 20 minutes away, Game 4 35 minutes from Game 3. Saw every second of every game and wrote 4 12-inch stories. Crazy as hell, but i made deadline. Thank God.

5. fremont

fremont Member

That's something else. How much time between games?

6. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

Noon, 2:30, 5, 7:30. I walked into Game 3 about 3 minutes before it started and was walking into the stadium at first whistle for Game 4. A guy that also covered game 1 asked me "where you been?", as he knew what I was doing. The other 3-4 people in the box just thought I was lazy.

7. fremont

fremont Member

You're fucking awesome. Seriously.

I don't know if I could pull that off, not without missing something.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I did the same thing yesterday. When I got to my first game, the other two writers gave me their schedules. Mine was a little more hectic, I think, but not by much at all. Actually, one of the guys had a longer day but more time in between games. Either way, I don't want to do it again, and I'm sure he doesn't, either.

Rain sucks.

9. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

Going in, I thought I was going to die. But because there was so little time to dick around with things, I used the time in the car between games and back to the office after Game 4 to find my leads in my head so I could hit the ground typing at my next game. The nice thing was that all the rosters were already done when you got there (so no scrambling for that) and it was a Saturday so traffic was manageable between sites.

All in all, one of my better days in the biz.

And Mikey, rain is the most evil of all of Mother Nature's children. Evil. Evil. Evil.

Draft saved Draft deleted