1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ever been to prison?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 25, 2013.

1. I'm heading to prison later this week. Doing an interview with an inmate.
    Anyone else ever done one?

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Yes. What would you like to know?

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

As a lawyer, not a journalist.

I was struck by what a little functioning community seemed to have developed behind the walls. They gripe about things like their health care and their schedules and facility maintenance the way we gripe about construction zones and property taxes and our kids' school lunches.

The people I came in contact with seemed remarkably institutionalized. A lot of them were never leaving - and I'm not sure they cared any more. They'd accepted it. And some of them were two or three decades down the road from the crime(s) that put them in the place, and had, at least seemingly, aged out of the impulses that got them in their to begin with. They were really, well, normal.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Unless it's a hostile interview, it will probably go more smoothly than most interviews with college or pro athletes...

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Have fun. Don't try to smuggle in contraband. It should be a good experience for you.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Ever seen a grown man naked?

7. I don't think it will hostile. But it could turn.
    This guy ain't getting out. At least now while he's breathing.
    I may have to go in along with visitors. They are consulting with legal about allowing me an attorney visit.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Played in a softball double header at a federal prison. We won both.

The inmates were friendly and I think the entire prison came out to watch. Nothing much else going on a Saturday afternoon, I guess.

I coached third (was injured, couldn't play). The crowd chanted "Barefoot team! Barefoot team!" which confused the hell out of me until I realized that the coacher's last name was Barefoot.

The grounds were far better than any I'd seen, and I was stunned to see that the inmates were all wearing fancy jewelry and lots of makeup.

One of the inmates pretended to be a sports reporter and interviewed us.

This doesn't help you at all, I know. But it was a lot of fun.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I went in to take part in a church service. I was the equipment/set-up guy for the music group, but it was minimum/medium security. Still, I was the one that had to clear all the equipment, both in and out. It was educational, to say the least.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The first time I went to a prison was a minimum security place where the guy was serving time for fraud. The photographer who was also there kept saying, "This is pretty nice... I could live here..." Did you see the gym? It's nicer than the one at Bally's."

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Don't lose your ID badge.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Follow the rules and it will be an experience you won't soon forget.

Draft saved Draft deleted