1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even the Pentagon says so...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boomer7, Mar 11, 2008.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Add to that an Iron Maiden T-shirt and a pocketfull of eight-sided dice and you're dead on.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The subpoena power is a seductive thought.

I'll resist the rest.

Since the dawn of the nineteenth century, any time we've moved too far, too fast, it's been misgiving-laden.

3. The problem is we haven't had a period in that time, ever, with as much wreckage in as many different places. And the current GOP is not in a problem-solving mood. It's going to do everything it can to nuke the next D president like it nuked the past one. (This, by the way, is where Obama is most wrong.) So we have to give him as much ordinance as possible.

4. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Promised I'd stay away from politics threads but...If you really want a gain in Senate seats, vote Obama. Hillary would be a drag on the ticket (rightly or wrongly). There's no denying that.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You forgot Mission Accomplished, color-coded threat alerts, and arguing against bringing home the troops not by a reasonable explanation, but by shouting 'cut and run' every other phrase.

6. I don't think either one of them is a drag on the ticket, but the Clinton record on party-building is pretty bad, so I don't disagree with your basic point.

7. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Why, you've gotta be shitting me! No one could have seen this coming:

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/homepage/story/30172.html

8. Who could have anticipated...

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'll take the 60 for two years. The last thing we need in January is 43 members of the "denying an up-or-down vote is treason" crowd filibustering every one of Obama's or Clinton's Cabinet nominees. They treated the minority like shit for a dozen years, and we hoped kicking them out of the majority would humble them. It didn't. Now it's time for them to experience really being a minority.

But honestly, it only needs to last for two years. Any more than that and the pendulum starts swinging dangerously in the opposite direction. I think that's what'll happen, though. The Dems will pick up a bunch of seats in 08 and win the White House (despite their best efforts), then people will rein them back in come 2010. A lot of those traditionally Republican-leaning districts that have elected Democrats are bound to swing back at some point. I just don't think this year is that point.

As for the actual topic of the thread, would 9/11 have happened with OBL in a jail cell or a tomb? Maybe, maybe not. We keep making the mistake of overemphasizing the importance of the command structure with these guys. How many times in the past five years have we killed the No. 2 or No. 3?

Sure, OBL is the figurehead and a rallying point, but if a live OBL is a rallying point, doesn't it stand to reason a dead one would be too?

10. Yawn

Yawn New Member

"I like dreaming...." Yeah, it may look good now, and Ohio and/or Florida will be manipulated by the smartest candidate regarding his or her VP choice.

Just another issue question - why isn't gay marriage being pushed right now? Because it would give the Republicans a "fear factor" among some purples - that is, those who could have some blue and/or red in them. You don't see near the headlines on it that you did say, two years ago. Have a plethora of states voted for it? Nope. So why isn't it still an issue with aggressive political muscle? You guys can figure it out.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

why do gay people scare you, yawn?

12. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Are you the night time guard dog?
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted