1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evaluating Teachers is Hard Work

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 23, 2013.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I can find one person for one thing so it must hold true for everyone...

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

There's this thing called a competitive market that requires industries (even firms within industries) to be CONSTANTLY evaluated by outsiders ... those outsiders are called customers. They do this thing that we refer to metaphorically as "voting with their dollars."

... not what I did. But how could I have done that anyway? After all, I don't know anything about academia.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ahh they can probably allocate three minutes per teacher per year to it. Grade teachers on a 5-question questionnaire with a sliding scale of 1-5 and you're golden.

The slacker administrators can probably do it on one of their goldbrick days off they get when the temperature drops to 30 below outside.

Next up, huffing and puffing because the teacher evaluation is cursory and inadequate.

Guess we better just solve the problem by defunding and dismantling the public school system and contracting with The Educatshun Division of Wal-Mart Charter Schools, Inc. (Featuring Even More Heaping Helpings of Jeesus, But No Pencil-Neck Geek Scyence) to do it. We can probably even outsource the evaluation forms to Bangladesh.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You don't know much about public education...

Evaluated by customers... so the answer is "no." And people always have the option to home school or send their child to a private school if they are unhappy with the free education they are given by the government. Well, of course, unless their child has special needs that the public school will accommodate because the privates won't.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Don't worry, Wal-Schools Charter Schools Division Inc. can just outsource that stuff to Bangladesh, too.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Your posts tell me all I need to know.

Many years ago, before I started working on my pseudo-credentials for my fictitious academic career -- and before I started writing and publishing those ersatz research projects that were simply Powerpoints without references -- I ran a small business (X). We sold our stuff (most of it at least) to a bigger business (Y). That business sold its stuff to a few bigger businesses (A, B and C). I now see, thanks to your brilliant insights, that along none of those firm-to-firm interconnections was there any evaluation going on. Absolutely none! It was hierarchy .. here, there, everywhere!

I must say, therefore, that congratulations are completely in order. You've shown Coase (and also Williamson) to have been complete dunderheads. And the committee(s) that awarded them those Nobel prizes? Such a confederacy of dunces. Had they only consulted the SOL promulgated by the Virginia Department of Education, such bitter mistakes could have been avoided. But to you, sir, I can only say "Bravo, bravo, bravissimo!"

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted