1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

European rental cars

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Jul 22, 2007.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Anybody got any tips? I need one in Ireland for a week and I don't know how to drive a stick shift, which means they want something in the neighborhood of $300-$400 for an automatic transmission as opposed to the low $200s for a stick.

2. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Pay the extra for the auto transmission, and buy all the insurance you can afford. Driving in Ireland is..... special.

Also, do a thorough walk-around before and after the rental with the rep to be sure you get it in writing that you did no damage.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Low $200s for a week in Europe? That's a damn good deal.

4. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

"Look, kids: Big Ben, Parliament!"

5. TwoGloves

Was there nine years ago and driving was indeed interesting.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I had fun tooling around France with a stick ... but I didn't drive in Paris. That might have been a challenge.
    England was truly weird, driving on the wrong side of the road, but I got through that without incident. The only really awkward thing I did was in a crowded parking lot near Oxford. I was obviously in the way. My natural instincts to get out of the way took over and I did exactly the wrong thing. Made the situation worse and got a lot of angry looks from others in the lot.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

For 200 smackers, I'd learn to drive the stick!

8. TwoGloves

Believe me, it's crossed my mind. I just don't know anybody who has one. I can't imagine it's that difficult.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I drove in Ireland for a long weekend and had a blast, even though I got caught in a sheep traffic jam and in roundabout hell. Now, it'll be even more special because as I understand it, all the street signs are in Gaelic only. Good luck with that.

I drive a stick, and even I had to go back in and ask about the reverse thing. It's a bit weird, you actually have to straddle it with two fingers and pull up to put it in reverse. But once I got the hang of that, no worries. No problem adjusting to the left side thing.

It does help that the cars are the size of roller skates. Mine was purple and I referred to it as the gumdrop car.

But if you can't drive, just pay the extra money. You're probably going to have to pay a hefty insurance fee anyway and at that point it doesn't even matter.

I heartily recommend the hostel on the bay in Wicklow, south of Dublin.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

rent a stick for a day before you go to learn. you're still coming out a head when you get over there.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Good point.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Learning to drive a stick is one of those things a guy should know. like making a decent martini.

Not that difficult.

I've driven in England a couple of times including right in and out of the centre of London.

The thing that screwed me up wasn't the wrong side of the road, but the roundabouts.

Draft saved Draft deleted