1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethically, should I do this?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by enigami, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Magnum

Magnum Member

There really is no ethics issue involved here as long as the website isn't owned by someone you cover, be it the team or the NHL.

The question is whether your newspaper is willing to let you work for someone else while working for them. Some newspapers are and some newspapers aren't. Just ask.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If part of your duties of your beat include blogging for your paper's website, I can't imagine they would want you to be blogging on the side as well.

Doesn't hurt to ask, though.

One of the issues this raises with the digital demands on beat writers is this going to lead to more opportunities to freelance or fewer -- since they want you writing, blogging, podcasting all the time.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Just assure your boss that you won't be breaking any news on the blog or putting anything there that isn't on your paper's site.

I'd say it's a 75-25 he'll give you the green light...

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

beware Eklund

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Great advice. Ask by email and make sure you keep the response. That's what I've always done.

6. enigami

enigami Member

Ha, it's not Eklund. And I will get it in writing. Thanks for your help, folks. I'll let you know how it goes.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

I think an important question that needs to be asked in your office at some point is why isn't anyone reading your current blog? Does anyone read your stories on the Web site? If so, why aren't they reading the blog, as well?

8. gretchd

gretchd Member

Any update, enigami?

9. enigami

enigami Member

The SE gave permission, and I took it. The first check is due to arrive soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted