1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethically odd...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moland Spring, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

So here's my thing: I was reading a bunch of the Bonds stories this morning and clicked on Henry Schulman's from the SF Chronicle (below). I don't know what to make of it: It's almost, kinda the P word. Or is it? I don't know, but it had me thinking.

Obviously, the lede is a play on the great radio call of Hank Aaron's 715th (by Marty Brennaman, right?) But only a real baseball fan would know that. It's not credited anywhere, I don't believe. Is this a tribute or not?

NEW KING OF SWING
    Bonds' HR moves him past Aaron

Henry Schulman

There's a new home run champion of all time, and it's Barry Bonds.
    Is he the greatest home run hitter of all time? All who cherish this game will have to search their hearts and answer that question in their own way. But the number is not open to debate, dispute, praise or scorn. The major-league record is 756, and Bonds owns it.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's not plagiarism because no announcers own words. It's a play on the call, perhaps, but that's it. You don't need any credit to use it.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Not even close to plagiarism.

4. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Somebody owns the words, right?

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Milo Hamilton

My favorite part of Milo's call is that, just before the pitch, he said: ``He's sittin' on 714 ...''

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've always enjoyed writers who offer a little something extra in their stories, perhaps a phrase that has deeper meaning or gives a nod to another related event. Like announcers, I'm sure Henry and the other Giant beat writers have been toying with their ledes for the moment in the past few months. He's focusing on the number, not the man, while acknowledging Hank Aaron without mentioning his name. I think it's good work.

7. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Have you ever read a story that said, "The Blanketies win the pennant!"

8. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

No. Thank God.

9. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

I can't believe what I've just read.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Go crazy, folks, go crazy!

You'll have to be to think this is plagiarism!

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Don't say "Holy cow!" or Undead, Still Drunk Harry Caray will fuck you up.
    [​IMG]

12. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

extremely well played

Draft saved Draft deleted