1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethical question for the board

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Oct 27, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

No, no. I'm in Texas. Mrs. tbf is in 'Bama. I'm enroute to Alabama.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

We need a map, dammit!

If you're in Texas, I'd pick Texas, but that's just me.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm trying to tempt him to come to the dark side!

4. three_bags_full

It's dark in my room. That count?

I have a couple of buddies who are in the same boat. I'm going to talk it over with them, too. I think most of them have said they're going to do it.

5. TBF...you might want to keep in mind that the Texas constitution allows us to secede from the Union and become our own individual country of five states.

Also, and I never took advantage of this so I'm not certain if it's still allowed, the IRS allowed Texas residents to deduct state sales tax charges off their annual returns. Of course you had to keep receipts in case you get audited. But like I said, I never took advantage of it so I don't know if that was just a one-time thing or if it's ongoing. That could add a little more to your $200 a month.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Claiming Fran -- Again -- or Saban... hmmmm....

Yee HAH

7. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Claim Texas. My uncle is retired coast guard. He was commissioned from Texas but didn't live there his entire career. Yet, his boat (based in Va.) and cars were registered in Texas.

As long as your employer allows you to claim the state and you actually work there for some period of time, don't hesitate to save yourself money. Miss. and Ala. shouldn't benefit from your taxes if you're not actually using their services.

8. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

With all that travel, I want your job. Sign me up. I think it would be awesome to work in so many different places in such a short time.

9. three_bags_full

We have a few openings in our Baghdad Bureau.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

TBF, I think you also should consider voting rights with this move.

If you are selecting a state of residence, wouldn't you also be concerned about election policies, absentee ballots, etc.?

11. three_bags_full

Yeah, that's one of the requirements to establish residency. Register vehicle and register to vote.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The ethical response is to pick the state where you intend as your permanent residence. Its not "whatever I think the IRS will not audit me for." You're asking for a moral crutch instead of what's ethical. You already know what's ethical but you are not following it. You are asking "whats the most beneficial for me" which is Texas. You say you are going to spend a great deal of time in Texas but it appears that you have no connections to the state at present.

Draft saved Draft deleted