1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethical quandary @ WaPo: Story spiked

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Perry White, Jan 15, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Not only will the WashPo continue to use unnamed sources for political stories, they will continue to use sources who give them bogus information and allow them to continue to be an unnamed source.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

But not on serious stuff like picking up chicks, though.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

What's more important to you, Ace, who has the better plan for reforming corporate tax laws, or getting laid?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

All one and the same, really.

5. silentbob

silentbob Member

Ira, you missed my point.
    Of course the name thing should've been ironed out.
    But I'm guessing the editor didnt know about it from the beginning.
    Therefore he's not at fault. The reporter is.

6. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Yo, silentbob -- let's not muddy the waters here. There's no Stephen Glass parallel. The editors know who the guy is, they know he exists, the issue is putting his name in the newspaper. The only reason I can see for doing that is to "punish" him for running such a reprehensible seminar.
    As a long time beat writer, I just love all the tsk tsking of anonymity ... whenever I see one of those posts, I know I'm reading a desk guy/gal, who has never had to compete for information. In this decade, anyhow.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Just going to interject my opinion that the WaPost is slowly turning into a POS rag.

It isn't there yet, but, damn, has my estimation of that paper fallen over the past few years.

8. If possible, sell to a mag that will run the story without a real name. The name does nothing for the readers. It's the information that's important.

9. times38

times38 Member

or all those quotes from "senior administration officials" that just happen to be Dick Cheney.

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

In his online chat, Weingarten (properly) said the story was the property of the Washington Post, not him.

11. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Absolutely. "The Great Zucchini" was riveting.

12. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

I'd just like to pipe in and ask that you google weingarten and Joshua bell and set aside an hour to read what should be a Pulitzer finalist.

Draft saved Draft deleted