1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethical dilemma at work

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The guy is shady. Not sure what I'd do. Other than avoid him.

I'm glad I saw my hole-in-one drop.

Did I mention I had a hole-in-one?

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I saw mine fall, too. Let me tell you about it ...

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If you are pursuing an activity as a hobby, because you enjoy it, what is the appeal of cheating?

I guess I can understand the drive to cheat if there is large wagering on the game, but as a poker player I have never been tempted to cheat in the least.

Maybe because I don't play for large stakes. I can't afford to play for large stakes.

But I play poker because I enjoy playing poker. Cheating would inhibit my enjoyment, not enhance it.

Is golf not the same?

Earthman likes this.
  4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I sometimes cheat at solitaire, when I'm the only one there.

5. Remember the guy cheating was the caddie... out for more money.

Win if you can. Lose if you must. But Always cheat!

How old is the caddy?

6. doctorquant

In golf, there's not playing by the rules and then there's cheating. If everybody in the group (or across all the groups) decides that you can improve your lie by one grip-length, that's not following the rules, but it's not cheating. If in that situation some dickhead starts improving his lie a couple of feet, that's cheating.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You'd kick him out of your class for that, right? You better!

lcjjdnh and doctorquant like this.
  8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In some cases, kicking the ball out of the rough and the like is more of a kindness if the guy is not playing for money, is shooting a lousy score and is possibly holding up other golfers.

Last thing you want is someone who is going to shoot a nifty 120 or so marching back to the tee box to hit it again because his ball was a foot out of bounds while the next group is waiting.

Alma and cranberry like this.
  9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I hope Buck plays poker with that cheating caddie and takes that $200 off him, too.

10. doctorquant

It's funny about club golf ... little mini-cultures emerge as re: the rules and which ones will be enforced and which ones will be overlooked. At some clubs, for example, how handicaps will be used is straightforward ... you get your handicap and he gets his (that's the way my current club is). At others, that's subject to negotiation. When I was in my 20s and pretty good, I was at least five shots better than the second-best player in my regular foursome. As we'd negotiate matches, it became a thing to negotiate not just strokes, but how many beers I had to drink during the match (I was so serious about my game back then I'd rarely drink on the course). So X and Y would get, say, three strokes a side if I'd agree to drink three beers, but they'd get five a side if I was gonna play sober.

Ace likes this.
  11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ah, the Daly Rules.

doctorquant likes this.
  12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Things get interesting with inter-club matches. My father belongs to a club and a few of the other clubs are known for having players not report good rounds so their handicaps don't go down. They do it to screw guys at the club, but especially for when they are playing other clubs in summer leagues.

Draft saved Draft deleted