1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Esquire vs. GQ

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Shame on 'em.

I could see that story in VF, in a minute. And VF is metrosexual, at best.

2. I had no idea "Vanity Fair" was considered a women's magazine.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Clearly not . . . but their editorial orientation is clearly more towards that direction than Esquire's. Hollywood, Hollywood, Hollywood . . . beyond the
    saturation point.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I haven't read either in a while.

Harry Crews and Roy Blount Jr. were two of my favorite things in my life when they were Esquire columnists.

For entirely different, less likeable reasons, I always liked Alan Richman on restaurants, and occasionally his sometimes wrongheaded stories about sports writing.

5. Which one had the piece last year about the kid who blackmailed his gullible high school male classmates into having sex with him? That and the New Yorker piece on the allegedly wrongfully executed Texas man were the best magazine pieces I read in 2009, but I can't remember if that was Esquire or GQ.

6. BRoth

BRoth Member

Ask and you shall receive. Twisted tale, but great story telling.

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/big-issues/200907/wisconsin-high-school-sex-scandal-online-facebook

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I've been receiving VF for about 2 years now and just began a subscription to GQ. Both are only about $15 bucks a year. The writers in VF are top notch IMO and many of the articles I go off thinking I might not be interested in, but they pull you in. They have been on top of this financial meltdown, with something like 4-5 stories on Bernie Madoff and his familiy, the meltdon of Bear Stearns and why Goldman Sachs stays on top.

The Rihanna issue was my first for GQ and was kind of underwhelmed. The only article I liked was on Shatner and why he remains relevant. Maybe its time to give Esquire a chance, but one only has so many hours in a month.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I just get them for the pictures

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

the clothing advice in both mags has always struck me as a total farce. but i thought everyone knew it was something of a joke. virtually nobody in this country can afford to come close to affording the clothing they feature. how many people buy $600 shoes and $950 cashmere sweaters and $300 everyday shirts and $3,000 jackets and $12,000 watches every season? how many american men shop seasonally and pay any attention to what's in four times a year as the seasons change? not many. only the super rich can afford to live in that world, and i would venture to say that many of them probably don't even indulge like that because that's how they became super rich, but not making idiotic fashion purchases.

11. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Is there a $39 knock-off that looks just like it? That's more my range.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

What offends me in the fashion spreads is the bizarre pairings, such as this month in Esquire in which the tie costs more than the shoes. The suggestions aren't just useless for us, they are useless no matter how much money you have. In no way does it serve the reader; in fact it gives them the worst possible advice.

Draft saved Draft deleted