1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Espo, Bucyk and McKenzie would've drank them under the table

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by terrier, Jun 23, 2011.

1. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I love that there's one Corona on the bill.

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Heck of a recollection and rings familiar. NFL QB I covered pulled the same stunt. Unfortunately, there were no NHL players present and the server stayed stiffed.

Insofar as Espo, Johnny, Pie, etc, my understanding is many a hangover were slept off overnights at Boston Garden..

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Liquor is so friggin' overpriced it's pathetic.
    Restaurants and bars kill folks with audacious pricing.
    It's awful, but they do it because they want a certain clientele in their establishments.
    They don't want poor people and they'd prefer pretty people.
    Money and pretty often run in the same circles. Anyone ever notice this?

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Um, poor people drink too. They just go to less fancy bars.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm trying to think if I've ever paid $15 for a drink.

I've been at dinners where port or scotch more expensive than that was served, but I sure as hell didn't order it.

6. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Hate to be the one to say this ... and I've covered the Bs for years and know this group to be great guys, and their triumph is well earned and certainly something to be celebrated in grand style ... but .... I think $154k could do a lot of good for a lot of people ... just sayin'

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

so what is an appropriate number? And a what point should they have stopped? These things are all relative, on average a ticket to the Stanley Cup final was about 950 bucks in Vancouver. I'm thinking that money could also go to something more important.
    They won, they deserved it and they deserve to whatever they want to celebrate.

8. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

What sucks for her is, now that it's public she has to declare all of it to the Revenoor man!

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

But $100k of that was a comped bottle of champagne (30 liters!!) that was signed by the players and will be auctioned later, benefiting the Bruins Foundation. That plus the servers getting taken care of makes it all fine by me.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

+1

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Um, yeah ... I get that.
    The point I'm making is, the fancy bars charge extremely high prices in hopes of keeping the poor people out of their joint.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

When Chicago won the Stanley Cup, I bet they went to a bunch of high end bars. But the cup came to my very blue collar bar in the home of David Bolland. I'm okay with that.

Draft saved Draft deleted